• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top Ten Coins from My Most Recent NGC Submission

38 posts in this topic

698125-1972Jamaica1DNGC70.jpg

This one I like mostly for the grade on the insert, it's my first 70. I also remember my first 67 (a 1914 Hungary 20 filler), first 68 (1964 Guatemala 10 centavos) and first 69 (1978 Norway 50 korona) which were all quite exciting. No where else to go from here!

This coin came from an entire 1972 Jamacian mint set I picked up at a local shop. Usually I shy away from such recent stuff and from countries like Jamacia, but the coins were just supurb. The copper coin went 68RD and all the other coins garnered 69s.

Here's the conversation surrounding the buy:

JJ: I'm going to buy this set.

Greg: It's from Jamacia! (voice filled with exasperation)

JJ: The coins are beautiful!

Greg: It's from 1972 (voice filled with horror)

JJ: They look almost perfect!

Greg: They're going to die! (voice with pleading tone)

JJ: I'm stupid.

Greg: Nod (facial expression of acceptance)

-JamminJ

you can definetly go higher than 70 just last year i bought a ms90 ngc coin on ebay from a guy in ethiopia.It hasn't arrived yet but i'm still hopefull smirk.gif

you can definetly go higher than 70 just last year i bought a ms90 ngc coin on ebay from a guy in ethiopia.It hasn't arrived yet but i'm still hopefull smirk.gif

I hear the mail can be slow coming from Ethiopia so just hang on and I'm sure it will arrive safely. Make sure to post apicture when it arrives!

-JamminJ

I hear the mail can be slow coming from Ethiopia so just hang on and I'm sure it will arrive safely. Make sure to post apicture when it arrives!

-JamminJ

I will do that when it arrives I have a feeling it might come today but it is presidents day.of course when you buy a coin fron a guy in ethiopia on ebay you never know what may happen grin.gif

Your '49 is indeed a beautiful coin. Here is a post on a the Canadian Coin Research Site (CCRS) regarding the series: Re: 1949 Specimen

Let me say a few things to further muddy the water but give you some direction on 1949 silver dollar strikes.There are 3 different strikes in 1949...MS ,PL and mirror Proof quality.Both the PL and proof strikes are in the definition specimen strikes.Simply meaning that they were not intended for circulation.The MS coins are frosty from rim to rim and have a whitish look.The PL coins have shiny greyish fields and different degrees of cameo in the relief areas.Some of the early strike PL coins are often called Specimen by PCGS,ICCS,NGC etc.The Belzberg specimen ICCS-PCGS SP65 is a PL strike.Most people struggle with the distinction so it is no surprise that the big grading companies make mistakes in this area.A similar area is the 1953 coinage.Many of the coins in PCGS SP holders are early PL strikes and likewise with ICCS.Mr. Haxby's die characteristics are for PL coins and I have seen these characteristics on MS coins as well.

The Proof 1949 dollar is rare and rarely shows up in real life form but here is how you can tell.PL coins under high magnification will have wavy fields and at the rim there will be a slight change in elevation from the fields to the beading.In some cases as in the Belzberg example the coin will have very little obverse cameo.The effigy is struck in similar relief to a mint state coin. Proof coins have mirror fields that are much flatter under high magnification and they run square into much better defined beading at the rim.The relief is very cameo and the overall look of the coin is special.The real tell tale is the depth of the strike.When you place a proof beside a PL coin the difference becomes very evident.The effigy on the proof coin is struck up much more than the PL coin.Rick mention the sharpness of the rim being a sign but that is not so on all proof 49 dollars.That feature can occur but doesn't always. The square rim appears on the following dates 1937 mirror strike(not the matte),1938,1947 blunt mirror specimen(not the satin),1948 mirror proof (not mirror specimen) and the 1950 Arnprior specimen.

Finally the easiest way to tell a 49 proof dollar is by comparing the coin to a 1948 mirror specimen dollar.The coins are made the same and the obverse characteristics are the same.

Sandy Campbell, 1/24/2005

Mr. Campbell is a noted numismatist and coin dealer in Nova Scotia, Canada. From what I understand, the 1949 issue was assembled for release in plastic tubes, twenty to a tube. Also they were struck with special care from selected dies consequently they remain some of the more beautiful and higher graded of the Canadian silver dollar series.