• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CFA's design recommendation for the 2015 High Relief gold $75 coin

37 posts in this topic

Here are the CFA's design recommendations for the 2015 High Relief gold $75 piece:

a5akbq.png

apjnuw.png

From CoinWorld:

The Commission of Fine Arts recommended proposed designs for the 2015 High Relief gold $75 coin and companion silver medal at its Jan. 22 meeting. Two obverse designs and two reverse designs were recommended.

The upcoming 2015 1-ounce, .9999 fine gold $75 coin will be struck by the United States Mint at the West Point Mint in High Relief, not Ultra High Relief as originally conceived.

Of the two obverses the CFA recommended, one depicts a wreathed bust of Liberty, with the date 2015 and inscriptions LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST. The second obverse depicts Liberty standing, crowned with leaves, holding an American flag on staff in her left hand and a torch in her right.

Of the two reverses that received CFA recommendation, one features an eagle in flight, clutching olive branches, with inscriptions UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and E PLURIBUS UNUM. The denomination is presented as SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS and the weight and fineness as 1 OZ. .9999 FINE GOLD.

The second reverse recommended depicts an eagle perched on a branch ruffling its wings that extend off the edge of the coin design. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and E PLURIBUS UNUM are inscribed around. The weight in gold and fineness appear in two lines in the field in front of the eagle as 1 OZ. .9999 / FINE GOLD. The denomination appears as $75.

Article link: https://www.coinworld.com/news/2015-75-dollar-gold-coin-to-be-high-relief-not-ultra-high-relief.html

I have a few problems with the first obverse design recommendation. Mostly, there is nothing about this figure that looks like the allegorical Liberty Goddess to me. The figure looks to me as nothing more than just some lady with laurel leaves in her hair.

Also, if I don't mention this it'll seem like I'm purposely ignoring it, but I don't think of Liberty as having African features, which she clearly does. The Liberty Goddess was a Roman invention. So why recommend a depiction of her with African features?

I also don't like the thin font of LIBERTY or that the figure's bottom lip is covering the top bar of the E of WE in the legend.

I like the second obverse design recommendation much more. But I think there were several other better choices. The rest of the designs are here: http://www.coinworld.com/news/u-s--mint-releases-design-recommendations-for-ultra-high-relief-gold-coin.html

These were a few that I like much better:

33f3kux.jpg

254wiz8.jpg

25jktg3.jpg

What are you thoughts on the CFA's recommendation? Am I alone on this one here?

Personally I like the first ones posted: top right obv and bottom left rev.

Thankfully none of these are hideous. lol

jom

There are a lot of very interesting designs for both the obverse and reverse. I like the fact that many of them are not just "re-treads".

My fav. obv. & rev.:

O-21-C-_zps887124ad-1.jpgR-08-C_zps0aeb4645-1.jpg

There are quite a few others that I like as well.

If they pick the obverse with the politically correct black woman I'll definitely buy one because it'll bound to have an extremely low mintage and be the key to the modern gold coin series.

Many disasters, some nice ones.

O-12-C-220x285.jpg

I keep coming back to this obverse as my favorite, although as sketches, none of them jump out to me as a coin I must have. The recommended O-11 obverse is an acceptable alternative. I have two big problems with this one, however. First is the choice of font, which is far too clunky for the elegant design, and continues the wretched practice of using an unattractive computer font rather than hand-crafting the legends. Second is the fact that the field is totally blank. If this is supposed to be an ultra-high relief design, put something in the background that gives a context to Liberty's walk toward the viewer other than empty space. Using a giant font for LIBERTY doesn't count.

R-08-C-220x285.jpg

This would go well with my chosen obverse. Same complaints about computer font and dead background. Move some of the legends to the edge and use the extra space artistically.

Gag.

None of those seem to utilize the extra relief available....Stuffy, awkward, commonplace.....bleh!

Heidi W. -- How could you permit this?

What is keeping that heavy spiked tiara from falling on her face ?

O-01-C-220x285.jpg

This "long neck" is simple but pretty nice.

O-02-C-220x285.jpg

A lot of hair and a fuzzy fern.

O-06-C-220x285.jpg

Hypnotized by the olive branch.

O-07-C-220x285.jpg

This looks like some type of religious experience I'm not familiar with.

O-08-C-220x285.jpg

I wouldn't hold a flame that close to my face (or my bare hand). She must have some special powers. I like this design ok, though.

O-09-C-220x285.jpg

Hey lady, watch where you're going !

O-10-C-220x285.jpg

I'd vote for this one (although I'd reduce the size of the "LIBERTY" font).

O-11-C-220x285.jpg

Same as above.

O-12-C-220x285.jpg

Lady Diana at the costume ball.

O-13-C-220x285.jpg

You don't want to be on the wrong side of this Amazonian !

O-14-C-220x285.jpg

Looks like someone is stealing all the South American babies and taking them to North America (oops).

O-15-C-220x285.jpg

The Elf Princess with her Hobbit friend. A nice design, but Cherubs are not going to fly (so to speak).

O-16-C-220x285.jpg

Morticia on parade. I'm kind of freaked out by this one (go look at the full-resolution image). Whose foot is that ?

O-19-C-220x285.jpg

Something odd about that face. What is the sword stuck into ?

O-20-C-220x285.jpg

Oh great Genie, I wish for a Chaise Lounge !

O-22-C-220x285.jpg

Look out ma'am, a great Eagle is about to attack you from behind ! Too bad your sword is stuck in your butt.

O-23-C-220x285.jpg

The Eagles are generally pretty nice. I'd vote for this one.

R-08-C-220x285.jpg

I wouldn't hold a flame that close to my face (or my bare hand). She must have some special powers.

Well she IS a goddess.

You don't want to be on the wrong side of this Amazonian !

One of the reasons I like this one, it projects an image of strength.

"Looks like the zombie resurrection of Eleanor Roosevelt."

Shhhh....it's a secret.....it's really John Boehner's wife, Debbie.

Perspective, proportion and the natural flow of drapery are all "off" on most of the sketches....a big step backward. Also, hasn't anybody learned that full-length figures do not work on a small planchet?

....Looks like the zombie resurrection of Eleanor Roosevelt.

Or you could say it's just Eleanor Roosevelt. :o

jom

There are a lot of very interesting designs for both the obverse and reverse. I like the fact that many of them are not just "re-treads".

My fav. obv. & rev.:

I like your taste a lot, and would much prefer if the coin would look like the composites you put together.

If they pick the obverse with the politically correct black woman I'll definitely buy one because it'll bound to have an extremely low mintage and be the key to the modern gold coin series.

Not that the race matters, but I was curious as well regarding the model used for the design. The woman does not look to be Caucasian to me either, which would be an interesting deviation from most of U.S. coinage. I wonder if that influenced the committee (i.e. looking for something different).

Also, if I don't mention this it'll seem like I'm purposely ignoring it, but I don't think of Liberty as having African features, which she clearly does. The Liberty Goddess was a Roman invention. So why recommend a depiction of her with African features?

+1

Not that the race matters, but I was curious as well regarding the model used for the design. The woman does not look to be Caucasian to me either, which would be an interesting deviation from most of U.S. coinage. I wonder if that influenced the committee (i.e. looking for something different).

It seems to me that CFA recommendation was just a move to send the message that, 'hey, we don't see race'. And that's great, but what's to say that this won't backfire on them. I understand that the CFA can only recommend designs from among the proposals. But if there is ever an Asian, Latino, or Native American proposed depiction of Liberty and they don't recommend it, I expect they'll have to deal with a bunch of nonsense.

Moreover, as I already mentioned, to see Liberty in the first obverse recommendation is a real stretch. She bears no torch, no shield, no sword, no flowing robe, etc. It's just some gal with laurel leaves in her hair. If at least she had the crown of towers, it would look a lot more like Liberty. It all seems like just a sociopolitical recommendation to me.

There's something really off about the face on this one too...Looks like the zombie resurrection of Eleanor Roosevelt.

2gw8a45.jpg

That is the one I called "Morticia on Parade".

The back foot placement seems very odd.

Why have "LIBERTY" twice ?

Who would wear a dress with a collar like that, high up on the back of the neck ?

And that blowing hair - reminds me of a jellyfish.

+1

Well it is interesting to note that part of Saint Gaudens' inspiration when designing the $10 and $20 pieces was Hettie Anderson, an African-American who he felt looked like a goddess and was one of his favorite subjects. Hettie Anderson both modeled for the liberty bust on which the $10 Indian Head coin is based off of and modeled for the lady liberty figure which was used in the Sherman victory monument which inspired the $20 coin.

However, it is believed and Homer Saint Gaudens (ASG's son) said that the lady liberty figure was not based off of a single model and was a composite figure; and one can easily infer that the composite figure based on Greek, Irish, and French concepts in addition to Hettie Anderson.

My fav. obv. & rev.:

I like your taste a lot, and would much prefer if the coin would look like the composites you put together.

Thanks Kenny. Appreciate the kind words.

There's something really off about the face on this one too...Looks like the zombie resurrection of Eleanor Roosevelt.

2gw8a45.jpg

IMO, by far the worst. There were one or two others where Ms. Liberty looked a little "Goth".

CoinWorld article about the CFA's recommendations: http://www.coinworld.com/insights/commission-of-fine-arts-makes-gold-coin-design-picks.html

The short of it is the article states that the CFA wanted more diversity and less sexuality in Liberty.

From the article:

Designs too sexual?

Two of the four women on the panel voiced strong objections to some of the Liberty designs, saying the figures were too sexual.

“The sexuality of some of the designs offends me,” said Mia Lehrer.

Elizabeth Meyer said she agreed with Lehrer that “some of the images are offensive.”

Too sexual?!?!? Offended?!?!? Wow...just...wow. Which of the Liberty designs were they looking at?

Ok. Granted, there can be a very fine line between art and obscenity. But if you're seeing obscenity in any of the proposed Liberty designs, you shouldn't be on the CFA panel.

These women must be part of the "won't somebody think of the children" crowd that's also offended by Michelangelo's David and the Venus de Milo sculpture.

Know what...I think the Statue of Liberty is too sexual with her loose robes and green color...we should probably go ahead and take that down. (at one time the color green had sexual connotations, most notably in the phrase "a green gown") Oh, and the Washington Monument is essentially an abstract phallus...better get rid of that too.

CoinWorld article about the CFA's recommendations: http://www.coinworld.com/insights/commission-of-fine-arts-makes-gold-coin-design-picks.html

The short of it is the article states that the CFA wanted more diversity and less sexuality in Liberty.

From the article:

Designs too sexual?

Two of the four women on the panel voiced strong objections to some of the Liberty designs, saying the figures were too sexual.

“The sexuality of some of the designs offends me,” said Mia Lehrer.

Elizabeth Meyer said she agreed with Lehrer that “some of the images are offensive.”

Too sexual?!?!? Offended?!?!? Wow...just...wow. Which of the Liberty designs were they looking at?

Ok. Granted, there can be a very fine line between art and obscenity. But if you're seeing obscenity in any of the proposed Liberty designs, you shouldn't be on the CFA panel.

These women must be part of the "won't somebody think of the children" crowd that's also offended by Michelangelo's David and the Venus de Milo sculpture.

Know what...I think the Statue of Liberty is too sexual with her loose robes and green color...we should probably go ahead and take that down. (at one time the color green had sexual connotations, most notably in the phrase "a green gown") Oh, and the Washington Monument is essentially an abstract phallus...better get rid of that too.

You mean you don't find this design sexy... :devil:

2gw8a45.jpg

(I almost vomited a little writing this)... :roflmao:

Ms. Lehrer prefers stick figures, I guess. Nothing sexual or sensual about any of the designs --- they're just bad.

That last one isn't bad, Coinman. (thumbs u Not saying I love it, but tolerable.

My problem with the earlier designs is they give TOO MUCH detail. We don't want the faces/images that big except on actual designs of real ex-presidents or people (Sacagawea, etc.).

I'm not sure where the 'over-sexual' thing came from. I didn't see chicks in bikinis, just women with very large faces relative to the coin. :grin: Compare the proposed design to the one on the 2009 UHR (via the classic Saint-Gaudens). With a smaller face size, you didn't have to worry about what specific features were there -- the person looking at it would fill-in-the-blanks as they saw her.

Commemorative war coins didn't have great big detailed features for the soldiers, they were smaller and generic, too.

Ms. Lehrer prefers stick figures, I guess. Nothing sexual or sensual about any of the designs --- they're just bad.

I might see how this one could be misinterpreted although it is very subtle...

25jktg3.jpg

Isn't that from the Victoria's Secret "Angel Collection?"

And BTW, where is the end of that sword? Should show behind her knee.