• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CFA's design recommendation for the 2015 High Relief gold $75 coin

37 posts in this topic

Two of the four women on the panel voiced strong objections to some of the Liberty designs, saying the figures were too sexual.

“The sexuality of some of the designs offends me,” said Mia Lehrer.

Elizabeth Meyer said she agreed with Lehrer that “some of the images are offensive.”

Well I got a fix for that.

Get Daniel Carr to submit a couple of proposed designs:

• Possibly one with a housewife in regular clothing, bending over taking clothes from the dryer and her 'Tramp Stamp' just above her derriere could say LIBERTY rather boldly.
  • Or maybe a nice Norman Rockwell 1950's picturesque setting of a dinner table and the wife rushing to get the LIBERTY tv dinners on the table for her husband and kids.
  • Then again, a scene of a wife on her hands and knees, scrubbing the LIBERTY branded bathtub with a mural of the American flag would be better.

I guarantee they would forget all about their silly notions of "too sexual", grab torches and pitchforks and quickly scramble into a anti misogynous offensive position. Then they would have something to be offended by.

2c

Possibly one with a housewife in regular clothing, bending over taking clothes from the dryer and her 'Tramp Stamp' just above her derriere could say LIBERTY rather boldly.

:D That's...

...it's...

...just brilliant.

Holy cow, I can't even imagine the fallout on that one. It would be national news.

Is there anyway to find out which artist designed which version? I ask because one of the artist from the U.S. Mint Artistic Infusion Program, Susan Gamble was killed this month in an accident. She was responsible for almost two dozen adopted designs from 2006-2015 with two yet to be released. It's very sad but I'd hope that wouldn't influence their decision. Also I don't care for any of the choices.

David

I had not heard that. I didn't know Susan Gamble, however.

I did some research and I determined that she designed the Lou Hoover medal.

Here is her original sketch for that:

Susan Gamble's Lou Hoover medal drawing

Based on the style and technique of that drawing, it might be possible to guess which Liberty design was hers. But I don't see any that exactly match her style.

Well I got a fix for that.

Get Daniel Carr to submit a couple of proposed designs:

• Possibly one with a housewife in regular clothing, bending over taking clothes from the dryer and her 'Tramp Stamp' just above her derriere could say LIBERTY rather boldly.
  • Or maybe a nice Norman Rockwell 1950's picturesque setting of a dinner table and the wife rushing to get the LIBERTY tv dinners on the table for her husband and kids.
  • Then again, a scene of a wife on her hands and knees, scrubbing the LIBERTY branded bathtub with a mural of the American flag would be better.

Yes, I think that would stir things up a bit hm

When I had the opportunity to make a presentation before a US Mint committee on what woman should be portrayed on the new "golden" dollar coin, I decided on Bessie Coleman. I think she exemplified "Liberty" because, in spite of the social norms at the time, she pursued her dream of being an aviation pioneer at a time when women and African Americans did not do that sort of thing.

c_0004BS_384.JPG

But I think the ultimate form of Liberty is freedom of thought, which I have symbolized with these feathered/winged Liberty Head pieces:

39mm Palladium "Eagle":

pd_2011_winged_head_ms.jpg

39mm silver "20 Ameros":

una_20c_2010_pr.jpg