• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So you buy a PCGS graded toned coin from...

51 posts in this topic

That "particular" type of toning is typical of CnClad IKEs that were in Capital Plastics holders.

A few years back, a bunch of high grade IKE's showed up at APMEX that had that blue color to them. I bought an MS66 1971.

1971-PMS66Coin-150.jpg

There were several others from the same collector source that had similar colors.

As for Brian's AT CLR Notation, you'd have to ask him and if I were Toner Guy, this is exactly what I'd do. Under "More Actions", select "Contact Seller" and be sure to select the radial for "I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message" and then ask away.

Brian has nothing to hide and will be straight forward with his reply.

I dont have a problem with the coin or with the seller. I wouldnt have even mentioned Brian if it werent for Coinman's detective work.

I have no interest in returning the coin.

The thread was just to start a discussion. I just found it interesting that a seller of toned coins would allow such a coin to leave his inventory with such a sticker still attached. I found it amusing.

@19Lyds - its definitely not one of those Ikes. Your Ike has basically similar colors on the obverse and reverse. I have seen those before and I think they are 100% NT

The toning on my Ike is close to the toning on this Ike... more blue less green with pinks on the obverse and the same golden yellow reverse...

1976%20%24%20T2%20MS64%20CAC%2030613097%20O.jpg

1976%20%24%20T2%20MS64%20CAC%2030613097%20R.jpg

Thats not my Ike but it is for sale at Jame Sego's website here --

http://www.jmscoins.com/store/product.php?productid=20288&cat=264&page=2

Is the coin pictured from the Peacock hoard?

I'm guessing it isn't....for a couple of reasons.

jom

Is the coin pictured from the Peacock hoard?

I'm guessing it isn't....for a couple of reasons.

jom

What are you reasons? I admittedly know little about them other than it was a hoard of toned Eisenhower Dollars that many have analogized to the Appalachian Hoard of Jefferson Nickels.

Give me a chemistry set and a Bunsen burner and I'll make those Ikes all day long.

Whats your address ?

Can I just give you my cell number? I'm in Cell Block C.

Give me a chemistry set and a Bunsen burner and I'll make those Ikes all day long.

Whats your address ?

Im pretty sure they wont be good with the Bunsen Burner though. Can you do it with just the chemistry set ?

Whats your address ?

Im pretty sure they wont be good with the Bunsen Burner though. Can you do it with just the chemistry set ?

Sometimes heat is needed to drive the chemical reaction. :devil::baiting:

So I asked the seller about the sticker...

His response was the coin was purchased ("AT CLR") at the Clearwater show in FL.

lol

What a perfect response.

So I asked the seller about the sticker...

His response was the coin was purchased ("AT CLR") at the Clearwater show in FL.

lol

What a perfect response.

It certainly fits the "AT CLR" sticker!

I wonder if this would have been a thread if it was an NGC coin or any other TPG other than PCGS.

Why would that matter?

Because on this board there are a vocal number of participants that attack PCGS any chance they get...even going out of the way to do so. Some even admit to have a "chip on their shoulder" about PCGS.

Personally, I prefer being agnostic when it comes to plastic and issues. I may prefer one, or the other, for whatever coin series, but at the end of the day, both have good things and both have problems. No sense going off about a certain type of plastic, over and over and over and over again.

I wonder if this would have been a thread if it was an NGC coin or any other TPG other than PCGS.

Why would that matter?

Because on this board there are a vocal number of participants that attack PCGS any chance they get...even going out of the way to do so.

A vocal, very small minority...

Why would that matter?

Because on this board there are a vocal number of participants that attack PCGS any chance they get...even going out of the way to do so. Some even admit to have a "chip on their shoulder" about PCGS.

Personally, I prefer being agnostic when it comes to plastic and issues. I may prefer one, or the other, for whatever coin series, but at the end of the day, both have good things and both have problems. No sense going off about a certain type of plastic, over and over and over and over again.

I agree with you. I mostly lurk ATS, but I also see a similar vocal minority there in which NGC is disparaged.

I own coins in both holders because I'm trying to find the best coin for my collection. I try to ignore the noise.