• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay made the right decision posted by C Ramirez

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Fraud averted

I had noticed a ebay member with zero feedback selling a 1807 high relief-flat edge $20 double eagle in a PCGS holder, the grade stated MS65. The problem is that no certification number was listed, also the slab was so blurred you couldn't read anything, there appeared two stock photos that were clear. I contacted seller by email yesterday and asked for the certification number, I didn't receive a reply. I believe there was a "buy it now" price when the auction started, that no longer applied because the coin had bids over $2000, the seller was also accepting checks. I contacted ebay by through the listing alert, and said that I believed that this was a fraud auction. The value of this coin is 40,000 to 50,000 with a PCGS price guide of 60,000. The seller also stated the coin was originally in a NGC holder graded as a MS66. Later in the day when I tried to look at the coin again, ebay had already removed the listing of this coin.

See more journals by C Ramirez

I'm glad to see us policing ourselves!! A similar thing happened a while back with Kennedy Half Dollar Proofs. Every picture this seller put up was of the same perfect Ultra Cameo raw coin and a very low price. This pictures he/she used were obviously fraudulent and his items were quickly removed from EBay. It was the same type of deal; only showed a couple of sales and feedback was negative on them all. So....either someone in the EBay chain is watching or he got popped!! Someone could have easily fell for the coin Mr. Ramirez....thank you for your vigilance!

Bud

Fraud averted

I had noticed a ebay member with zero feedback selling a 1807 high relief-flat edge $20 double eagle in a PCGS holder, the grade stated MS65. The problem is that no certification number was listed, also the slab was so blurred you couldn't read anything, there appeared two stock photos that were clear. I contacted seller by email yesterday and asked for the certification number, I didn't receive a reply. I believe there was a "buy it now" price when the auction started, that no longer applied because the coin had bids over $2000, the seller was also accepting checks. I contacted ebay by through the listing alert, and said that I believed that this was a fraud auction. The value of this coin is 40,000 to 50,000 with a PCGS price guide of 60,000. The seller also stated the coin was originally in a NGC holder graded as a MS66. Later in the day when I tried to look at the coin again, ebay had already removed the listing of this coin.

See more journals by C Ramirez

No, POSSIBLE fraud averted. I might even go so far as to say probable fraud averted. But, regardless of the odds the possibility that it was legit existed.

I have reported numerous counterfeit coins and fraudulent listings to eBay. Sometimes they take action, sometimes they don't.

There is also a message board section on eBay with a Coins and Paper Money thread. One of the topics that has been running for years is titled "The New Coin Scam Thread" or something like that. Very inteesting reading if you ever buy coins on eBay (or ever intend to).