• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new So-Called Dollar

3 posts in this topic

Howdy - I have what I believe to be a new variety of so-called dollar. It has the identical reverse of HK-239 but the obverse is of Grover Cleveland. If I send this to NGC, is there a way to properly attribute it? What service should I ask for?

Hoot

Hoot,

There are tons of pieces that are not listed in the Hibler & Kappen reference.

You can send it in and I will look at it, but I can not guarantee we are going to certify it.

Typically, we only certify So-called dollars with published references in H &K, but sometimes, we do make exceptions depending on the particular item.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Brian - With this piece, which I believe is significant due to its composition (aluminum) and the fact that it has the reverse of a known H-K variety, I truly hope it would receive special certification.

I will send it to you with an earlybird invoice for grading and certification. If at all possible, I would hope it could be labeled "1892-83 IN Grover Cleveland obverse, reverse of H-K 240 SC$1, World's Columbia Expo." The piece is the identical diameter (and composition) of H-K 240.

Anyhow, I will remind you of all of this in a note to you when I make the submission.

Many thanks for your consideration.

Mark Hooten.