• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yes, yet another NT or AT Peace Dollar thread....

38 posts in this topic

I was comparing colors - in particular blues - not the patterns.

You mean patterns like this.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1934-d-1-ms64-pcgs-cac/a/1204-5123.s

I was offered that 1934-D Peace $ from Heritage at Long Beach and the price was nearly doubled... $3400 was the asking price from a dealer if I remember correctly. I wasnt impressed with the coin at that price.

AW - can I ask about the 1924 ? Where did you get it ? How many times did you submit it ? Did you try it a PCGS ? Is it in a details holder ?

It looks like it has some rub... it is an MS or AU coin ? Hard to tell from the pics though. I see toning patterns like the coin you have posted more on AU/XF Peace $ that have been cleaned and put into albums to retone rather than MS coins that havent had their surfaces altered. You can get some really wild colors and unusual toning on cleaned and retoned Peace $.

I acquired the coin from an estate auction on Proxibid. The kind of auction with garage items, dishes and the like and a few coins. There was some bidding on the coin, both on-site and off-site. I paid around a hundred dollars for it. I have only submitted the coin to NGC, but I am considering a submission to PCGS.

PICT0209_zps46044742.jpg

I was comparing colors - in particular blues - not the patterns.

You mean patterns like this.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1934-d-1-ms64-pcgs-cac/a/1204-5123.s

It doesn't look comparable to me. There are a number of factors that must be considered all together and not in isolation. These include the color, color progression, pattern, and how the toning appears on the surfaces (i.e. whether it is part of the surface like natural toning, or merely sitting on top of the surfaces for instance). In the case of the 1924 you posted, the pattern and color make the coin look AT to me.

I do not understand the economic "logic" of this.....A coin worth $22 was bought for $100 and additional money was paid to put it in a plastic holder stating it was "messed with" and the owner is considering spending another $30 to have a different company say the same thing.

I know it's a hobby and I understand the fun part of it.....but....?

(signed: 'Confused in Cleveland')

PS: Now, about that formula for spot remover...was it white vinegar or red wine vinegar?