• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I sure hope no one here starts buying the new ISIS coins

60 posts in this topic

All propaganda.

They neither have the capital or the technology to create a currency to compete with the U.S. dollar or Euro. Perhaps they'll pop out a few gold and silver coins to photograph for their website. But that's about it.

I am more curious about to whom they sell their oil.

So here is the quandry for them. If they have gold or silver what are they going to exchange it for? US Dollars or Euros. So they move from having gold to having dollars therefore promoting the dollar by using it. Mean while the people who would purchase them would send them to the smelter to be later made into Eagles. After all gold is gold.

So here is the quandry for them. If they have gold or silver what are they going to exchange it for? US Dollars or Euros. So they move from having gold to having dollars therefore promoting the dollar by using it. Mean while the people who would purchase them would send them to the smelter to be later made into Eagles. After all gold is gold.
Yes, gold is gold.

BUT, what is the "origin" of the gold and silver that these murderous, thieving, enslaving scumbags have that they are going to mint into coins?

Would it have as much value as say the gold extracted from the teeth of concentration camp victims?

Funny but when Liberterians or champion the idea of hard currency many on this Forum love the idea...

While most of us dont like ISIS - do you at least appreciate their ideal monetary system of being based on precious metals ?

Where it comes from is not relatively important to that concept...

BTW - Edited to add: Re-publi-cans are a blocked word on this forum ? Really ? lol

Funny but when Liberterians or *spoon* champion the idea of hard currency many on this Forum love the idea...

While most of us dont like ISIS - do you at least appreciate their ideal monetary system of being based on precious metals ?

BTW - Edited to add: Re-publi-cans are a blocked word on this forum ? Really ? lol

So is the "Donkey Party." At least you can write the words, "Whig" and "Federalist" because they are extinct.

And BTW, most Americans don't have much use for ISIS except for some "enlightened" students at Harvard who when interviewed stated that The United States poses a greater threat to civilization than the savages who believe in posting beheadings in the Internet. :insane:

Maybe not, but it is relevant in the legality of the pieces. Buying the coins (if anyone could overlook the moral implications) in exchange for US Dollars could be seen as funding a terrorist organization and might trigger anti-terrorism laws.

And BTW, most Americans don't have much use for ISIS except for some "enlightened" students at Harvard who when interviewed stated that The United States poses a greater threat to civilization than the savages who believe in posting beheadings in the Internet. :insane:

Maybe not, but it is relevant in the legality of the pieces. Buying the coins (if anyone could overlook the moral implications) in exchange for US Dollars could be seen as funding a terrorist organization and might trigger anti-terrorism laws.

The US is under constant cyber-attack from the Chinese on a daily basis. Read the recent stories about US weather satellites getting hacked. However, Obama and Co. has no issue meeting with China and trading with them. China and Russian are far more larger and more serious threats to the US than a bunch of guys wearing robes and driving pickup trucks in a desert.

ISIS is an over-hyped group of rebel terrorist/freedom fighters that pose little to no threat to my way of life. But ISIS coverage works to get the the average US citizen frothing at the mouth which is exactly what the govt wants to keep boots on the ground in an area of the world that we have nothing more than an economic oil interest in.

And I dont know if purchasing hard currency gold and silver on the open market is enough to trigger ant--terrorism laws in the US. Sure flying over to Iraq/Syria and handing over cash might be but purchasing it elsewhere might not be enough. I wonder if EU precious metal brokers will stock the coinage. I highly doubt purchasing a few pieces that way would even lead to a door-knock by the FBI.

But I will ask my friend who's career a FBI special agent in NYC.

True ... ISIS is not a major threat to us, aside from stirring up the home grown terrorists who might try to conduct some domestic attacks.

BUT if somebody gives them an atomic weapon, watch out. They will have no inhibitions about using it.

True ... ISIS is not a major threat to us, aside from stirring up the home grown terrorists who might try to conduct some domestic attacks.

BUT if somebody gives them an atomic weapon, watch out. They will have no inhibitions about using it.

And how would they get here ? In a plane's cargo hold ? Strapped to someone's back ? Driving across the boarder ?

Several Russian suitcase sized nuclear devices have been missing since the end of the Cold War and presumed to be on the black market and those still havent found their way to anywhere.

I interned for the former departmental head of the US State Department's Anti-Terrorism Task Force and even back then there wasnt anything that happened in the world that the US didnt know about well in advance. We have the most powerful listening and observation devices anyone can even dream about. Our problem isnt knowing something its cross departmental information sharing. We have the data it just might not get into the right hands before its too late.

I would bet that you wont see another massive successful terrorist attack on US soil by anyone foreign or domestic in your life time. Oversea targets are much softer and produce the same result for these guys.

And how would they get here ? In a plane's cargo hold ? Strapped to someone's back ? Driving across the boarder ?

Several Russian suitcase sized nuclear devices have been missing since the end of the Cold War and presumed to be on the black market and those still havent found their way to anywhere.

I interned for the former departmental head of the US State Department's Anti-Terrorism Task Force and even back then there wasnt anything that happened in the world that the US didnt know about well in advance. We have the most powerful listening and observation devices anyone can even dream about. Our problem isnt knowing something its cross departmental information sharing. We have the data it just might not get into the right hands before its too late.

I would bet that you wont see another massive successful terrorist attack on US soil by anyone foreign or domestic in your life time. Oversea targets are much softer and produce the same result for these guys.

And I suppose it don't matter if they set it off in Israel or some other part of the Middle East and the fallout spreads to Europe or western Asia. When you have human robots who are willing to perform suicide missions, the probability of succeeding in a making a harebrained plan work is increased mightily. It is myopic to think that detonating a nuclear device in one part of the world will not set off a firestorm in the rest of the world.

Remember that World War I started with the assassination of a relatively minor nobleman, and that was before there were nuclear weapons.

And I dont know if purchasing hard currency gold and silver on the open market is enough to trigger ant--terrorism laws in the US. Sure flying over to Iraq/Syria and handing over cash might be but purchasing it elsewhere might not be enough. I wonder if EU precious metal brokers will stock the coinage. I highly doubt purchasing a few pieces that way would even lead to a door-knock by the FBI.

But I will ask my friend who's career a FBI special agent in NYC.

I would be interested in knowing his response as a matter of intellectual curiosity. I agree with you that the law in this area isn't always clear and it isn't always applied consistently. I guess it depends on how much the offending group tinkles in Uncle Sam's Cheerios.

And I suppose it don't matter if they set it off in Israel or some other part of the Middle East and the fallout spreads to Europe or western Asia. When you have human robots who are willing to perform suicide missions, the probability of succeeding in a making a harebrained plan work is increased mightily. It is myopic to think that detonating a nuclear device in one part of the world will not set off a firestorm in the rest of the world.

Remember that World War I started with the assassination of a relatively minor nobleman, and that was before there were nuclear weapons.

A suitcase sized nuclear device fall out will not reach other countries. It will barely take out all of NYC if detonated in the middle of Times Square. It only has 2 kilotons compared to 21 kilotons at Nagasaki. Be more worried about the Fukushami Power Plant that is in melt down mode that no one is discussing. That will cause nuclear fallout across the western US.

Apparently one suit case nuke was accidentally detonated near Bern, Switzerland and Bern is still there... no one was evacuated afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_nuke

My point is that these have been on the on the market for sale for 20 years and no one's detonated one yet in any country.

"A suitcase sized nuclear device fall out will not reach other countries."

There is another kind of fallout that could be far more deadly than the radioactive. How would our government react? Would they feel obligated to retaliate in kind (9/11)? Would they know who to retaliate against? How would Russia and China react? Would they see the United States as weakened and vulnerable (Putin)? Would they fear a misguided retaliatory attack from our government and strike first?

Such an event could have apocalyptic consequences.

Edited to add: Also, what if this nuclear device were detonated in a nuclear power plant?

To get the maximum output from a nuke an airburst is required, radiation goes further initially, if a bomb is detonated on the ground, it creates different types of damage, the irradiated soil and matter in the blast area becomes airborne and it generates more fallout, kind of a dirty bomb.

But I agree that the worst problems will stem from the govt afterward and the people who now don't feel safe.

They neither have the capital or the technology to create a currency to compete with the U.S. dollar or Euro.

Technology is cheap. Any number of private mints would strike the coins for any entity that will pay up.

They neither have the capital or the technology to create a currency to compete with the U.S. dollar or Euro.

Technology is cheap. Any number of private mints would strike the coins for any entity that will pay up.

Maybe for a few coins...but there's no way they could produce an actual circulating currency for trade that could compete with the USD or Euro.

Edited to Add: Just looked this up....The CIA says ISIS only has up to 31,500 fighting members (reported by both FOX and CNN). The U.S. military has a little under 1.5 million active members and about another 1 million reserve member. Plus, the U.S. has a +$500 billion annual military budget to work with. The International Business Times believes ISIS has a net worth of only $2 billion. They can't win.

Sources: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/world/meast/isis-syria-iraq/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/12/number-isis-fighters-has-swelled-to-as-many-as-31500-cia-says/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/how-isis-became-the-richest-terrorist-group-in-the-world-1.1872634

Resolve is worth a lot more than money in war, look at Viet Nam, Afghanistan in the 80's, Mogadishu in the 90's, and now the current Iraqi war, we have thrown over a Trillion dollars at those conflicts only to be on the losing side.

Resolve is worth a lot more than money in war, look at Viet Nam, Afghanistan in the 80's, Mogadishu in the 90's, and now the current Iraqi war, we have thrown over a Trillion dollars at those conflicts only to be on the losing side.

It depends on how you view winning... its not the 1940s anymore. We have conflict in order to destabilize countries not to conquer them. Everything since Vietnam has been just that. We send troops in for monetary issues not for freedom.

Apparently one suit case nuke was accidentally detonated near Bern, Switzerland and Bern is still there... no one was evacuated afterwards.

From reading the article apparently it was "exploded" with an antitampering charge, not detonated. An H bomb was accidently dropped here in the US and the explosives in it detonated, but the bomb wasn't armed so there was no nuclear detonation.

Frankly you would have more likelihood of a dirty bomb than a true nuclear bomb. Plutonium oxide dust packed around conventional explosives in a small plane detonated over a major city. Would probably kill thousands and you'd never be able to clean it up.

I have to admit I'm conflicted over this. As a collector of world coins I want one, but I don't want to support them either.

That's a good point. And obviously, I don't know how to win wars. If I did, I be some kind of high ranking military officer; which I'm not.

I guess my point was/is that they're probably not as big as a threat as the media makes them out to be.

Remember ebola? Two months ago, every news outlet was ringing the apocalypse bell. Or Y2K? Or 12/21/12? Bird Flu? Swine Flu? SARS? Killer bees? McCarthyism? Fear sells.

That's a good point. And obviously, I don't know how to win wars. If I did, I be some kind of high ranking military officer; which I'm not.

I guess my point was/is that they're probably not as big as a threat as the media makes them out to be.

Remember ebola? Two months ago, every news outlet was ringing the apocalypse bell. Or Y2K? Or 12/21/12? Bird Flu? Swine Flu? SARS? Killer bees? McCarthyism? Fear sells.

I agree they are not a big threat in the big scheme, we are too powerful with our military, I don't foresee an invasion being successful on our mainland, just privately owned weapons is 300 mil and counting, but what these incidents do is erode the view that we are safe and that affects us here, (patriot act) and all the additions that affect our way of life since.

And Generals are only allowed to win wars when the gov't allows them to.

In WWII , I'm not sure I have this right, but wasn't Patton held back from taking France? Swartzkopf was not allowed to invade Iraq in the 90's, The USArmy could not go into Cambodia or Laos to interdict the Ho Chi Minh trail to win the Viet Nam war. (they actually did, but that's another story)

I have to admit I'm conflicted over this. As a collector of world coins I want one, but I don't want to support them either.

Agreed, but the support will have already been given to them before the coin would have made it into your hands, unless you got it direct.

Or you can wait a couple of months and our Govt will probably recognize them as a legitimate govt

Or you can wait a couple of months and our Govt will probably recognize them as a legitimate govt

Winna, winna, chicken dinna...

ISIS isnt going anywhere. We cant defeat them no more then we can defeat the Taliban or Al Queda. And now that they control land they will have to be at least viewed as a govt - legit or not. Their money will exist albeit in limited form.