• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First "Mintage = 1" Coin! posted by Augustus

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I have managed to get hold of a "Mintage 1", or only coin ever minted, coin for my custom set.

MINTAGE = 1.

This coin was the pattern strike for the 1979 0.925 New Hebrides Silver Mother and Infant coin. The strike quality and detail of this pattern coin ultimately lead to the acceptance of this coin for minting. The coin created a fair bit of controversy, and only 60 pieces were minted. Each of the 60 coins minted have the "925" stamped on the obverse of the coin. The pattern strike (Mintage = 1) does not contain the "925" stamp. Extremely rare coin, only one ever made.

Do you have any mintage=1 coins? If so, share your pics and description! Check out my custom set to see more pictures of this coin.

16070.jpg

See more journals by Augustus

I found this very interesting so I looked around to see if I could find information on it. From what I can tell the "925" is on the reverse. See picture below. Regardless if this is the pattern or one of the 60, it's extremely rare. BTW found one on ebay that was listed as X#1 as well. It has the 925 on the reverse.

ujKWbcc.png

Hi CoinDude,

Here are more pictures of the pattern coin without the 925 stamp for you. Thank you for your research. It is a very interesting coin!

Here is some back story from a collector of British colonial pieces:

- The coin was controversial because public breast feeding was not acceptable during that time period. Although the practice was quite normal in New Hebrides (now Vanuatu), it was not common place in Britain at the time. The coins were minted in Britain (as far as I know), and they found this representation of New Hebrides to be primitive and inaccurate of the 'island paradise'.

2380836_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTEvOC8yMDE0IDEyOjA0OjA1IFBN

2380836_Full_Rev.jpg?t=MTEvOC8yMDE0IDEyOjA0OjA1IFBN

What was "controversial?" Oh, I see from your post above. Sounds like a rather perverted controversy....those body parts evolved for that purpose.