• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Nickels.....

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering what people thought about these "peace Medal" and "keelboat" reverses. I noticed that one is more expensive than the other and both are no longer available from the mint. It seems like these nickels are very popular indeed. What do people this of these as a collectable, and are they worht being slabbed, if one were to come across a few real GEMS? Advice is welcomed and appreciated. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pieces that grade MS66 and higher are nice, collectable coins. Even MS65 peace medal nickels are not terribly common since the Mint saw fit to beat the crapola out of most of the nickels in post-production handling.

MS67 pieces of either design garner decent money (for a new nickel), with going prices of around $60 - $100. There have also been a few MS68s graded, and these bring funny money. They are not worth their premium, IMO, especially since PCGS has decided to play the game and place most of the MS68 quality pieces in 67 holders. Stupid. So, look for really nice MS67 pieces.

As for collecting rolls, that's just for fun. The Mint-wrapped peace medal rolls sell on eBay for about $30 a pair (P & D), and the keelboat rolls sell for around $18 a pair. Fed-wrapped rolls of either bring a fiar bit less, but still a premium over face.

Mint sets are the place to find superlative examples of either design in a circulation stike.

It's fairly easy to find PF69 or better nickels in 2004 proof sets. I ordered 5 sets and clearly had two of each design that I sent in - all graded 69dcam. You can buy these for around $15 each in that grade. Some people are spending $100 or more on PF70 graded pieces. I would not advise it.

Buy what you like and save your money for the rest. None of these will ever be very valuable. If a nickel ever grades MS69 or better, then look out!

Hoot

I decided to buy four rolls, one of each for about $12 per roll in original mint rolls. I am wondering if in the long, long run it would be better to keep them as is, in the hopes that they may fetch a better price years from now. Or break them open in search of the MS68's or maybe even a dream MS69.......I was thinking of buying the most common nickel I could find in MS68, for comparison, then break the rolls and se what I can find. What do you think?

The most common nickel you can find in an NGC or PCGS graded MS68 will run you no less than $500.

Searching Mint-wrapped rolls is a vain quest. The coins in them are dog-doo. Keep them intact and put them away for a long, long time.

If you want to find high-grade nickels, search through dealer stocks of Mint sets.

Hoot

I don't know. TW, but I sure have spent a lot of money on them and related items.I've purchased from the U.S. Mint $50.00 bags of each mintmark and each reverse, 2 rolls of each mintmark and each reverse, 2 clad proof sets, 2 silver proof sets, 2 mint sets, 2 "special" nickel sets (UNC & PRF of each mintmark and reverse) and 2 of the latest "special" set that has both Proof nickels, a Sacagawea Proof and a silver-plated replica of the original Peace Medal, rolls of Sacagawea dollars for each year & mintmark, and, finally, the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Silver Dollar (two each of UNC & PRF). Add to this a 1901 Series Buffalo $10.00 Note that I've had for quite some time, three prints from the BEP: "Lewis & Clark Bicentennial", "Corps of Discovery" and an intaglio print of the Buffalo Note, and a special booklet of Lewis & Clark stamps from the USPS. Does it sound like I'm crazy? My plan is to get the best coins graded and slabbed and have everything mounted in a shadow box.

I have to agree with Hoot, however, most of the higher grade uncirculated coins will come from the mint sets. But, I have been on one hell of a lucky streak. Out of 3 $100 bags of 2001 Kennedys, I've accumulated 36 coins graded MS67&68 and a filled-die error. Check out my most recent "post" on the 1879-S Morgan and keep an eye out for the double-die Peace Medal nickel.

It's like playing craps in Vegas, when you're on a roll, don't stop.

Chris

Now, the question you've got to ask yourself is "Do you feel lucky?"

about 10 months ago a bought two $50 bags from the Mint (P & D each).

Results (PCGS):

From the D-bag: 1 MS67; half dozen MS66s ; one MS65 and 3 MS64s

From the P-bag: 1 MS65; 12 MS64s (YUCK!!!) tonofbricks.gif