• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Call Me Underbidder by Electric Peak Collection

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

But I did get a couple...

Part 2 of the Gardner collection sale was conducted Monday by Heritage. A couple posts ago (going back to late June) I mentioned that I would pursue one of the half dimes. I decided that now is the time to spend some money on top quality coins to add to my set, so I got my wife's approval to spend way more (at one time) than I previously have.

The target was the 1846, PCGS graded MS62, and sporting a Gold CAC sticker. Mr. Gardner also had one of the two MS63 specimens, which was sold in part 1 of the sale in June. He clearly regarded the MS62 as the better coin - he had it in his #1 registry set, and the MS63 was in his second set. I expected it to sell for more than the MS63, which went for about $23,500. It did.

The bid got up to $28,000 ($32,900 with buyer's premium) before the live auction session. I was the underbidder at that point, and decided that was too much to continue. So I turned my attention to other coins in the sale. I made what I thought were strong bids on a few others that I still need for my set.

On Monday afternoon, I took some time off work to participate in the live auction on-line. I decided to bid on an 1841-O, and ended up as the underbidder. When the 1846 came up, there was no action, and I was tempted to go one more bid, but did not. It would be more than I was originally willing to pay, and I still had a lot of money on the table from those earlier absentee bids.

As the sale progressed, those earlier bids were eclipsed and I entered live bids on a few more as they came up. When the dust had settled, I was the underbidder on eight different coins, and was left farther behind on a few more. But I did hang on to get the last two MS half dimes in the sale, the 1871 and 1871-S.

Even though I ended up spending far less than I was prepared to spend in that sale, I probably will not count all of the difference as savings. A dealer is bringing a coin to the Baltimore show for me to examine... I will let you know how that goes tomorrow.

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection