• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Barber Quarter

34 posts in this topic

Jason - congrats on your new and wonderful find for your PL collection.

As I looked at your coin and reflected on what you are building, I bet it would be a real treat to see your type coins in person and to appreciate the common thread of all PL coins seen side by side.

Of course, to further that fantasy, I would like to visit many of the members here to look at their collections and to hear of why they chose each piece. How fun that would be! If time and money were no obstacle, we could have a monthly viewing parties. Hah!

I like the second coin much more than the first. I would go MS66. I would bet the luster is incredible on the second coin. The first coin looks dipped out even with the better photos whereas the second coin might have had a dip numerous years ago - the toning on it gives it an original look the first coin just doesnt posses IMHO.

As for PL, obviously the 1st coin is and the reverse is for the second coin. Its hard to tell if the second would make PL at NGC though.

Thanks for the nice comments about my coin. It was purchased from RCNH in 1997.

Some of you fellows sound like you know what you are doing grading Barbers, even from scans. I must admit, I am without much experience grading MS Barbers. Most all my Barbers were taken from circulation about sixty years ago. I only have a few left, along with a few fairly recent purchases.

Here is the ANACS label for the 1897 quarter I showed above.

1897QuarterA64DMPL.jpg