• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help in identifying please?

43 posts in this topic

moneyhoney,

As others have said, the coin has scratches on it and may not get into a "no problems" slab, which is what the low-ball registry collectors want.

(A "no problems" slab is one with a grade on it. A "problem" or "details" slab won't have a grade, but will say "genuine" or "apparent grade" and list the numeric code for the problems.)

However, if you wanted to try, you could do one of two things:

1. submit the coin to PCGS or NGC yourself, thus incurring the submission fee and postage costs (both ways). If the coin gets into a no problem slab, you could put it on eBay or list it on the BST boards at PCGS or NGC. If it comes back in a problem slab, you would sell the coin as junk silver.

If you have a decent coin dealer near you, you could ask his opinion of whether the coin would get into a no problem slab. Also, you could ask him to submit it for you - this might save you some money.

2. Offer the coin on eBay or on the BST boards at PCGS or NGC. Better pictures would help. You would list the coin as a "lowball registry candidate" and see if anyone bids on it. You should start the coin at its bullion value.

I will attempt the second choice you listed...it's worth a try. Now I have to find out the bullion value of the coin

Current price of silver x .77344 = bullion value

$17.29 x .77344 = $13.37

List it at $100.00 with a "Make Offer" and see what happens.

Chris

It's easier for me to ask the questions of those that are in the forum. They have expertise and experience. They make it easier for me to understand too..

As someone relatively new to numismatics, I think I have some good advice that will assist your learning. Try to find the answers to your questions first instead of posting here. Most of what you post can be found in a matter of 10 seconds on Google, NGC, PCGS, etc. As you're looking for your answer, you're sifting through other information. Although the info you're sifting through isn't relevant to your search, you're still retaining that information for your general numismatic knowledge. Just learning how to find answers by yourself will help tremendously. You don't learn much by consistently having others do the research for you.