• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want to Win a Gem CAC stickered Columbian Half Dollar?

17 posts in this topic

The Columbus Day CAC Fancaster® Challenge Offers coin enthusiasts a chance to win a CAC stickered gem Columbian Half Dollar by describing in a user-generated video why this is such a cool coin with references to design, scarcity and history.

John Albanese, founder and President of CAC reports: "Ever since I was a kid, the Columbian Exposition coin was one of my favorites. It's Christopher Columbus, what else do you need to know?"

In fact, in 1892, the Columbian Exposition coin is the first commemorative coin released by the US Mint.

To win, beginning Monday, October 13, 2014 through October 27, 2014: send your videos to https://www.wetransfer.com/ and then enter email to Promotions@Fancaster.com. Videos should be in MP4 Format and no longer than 45 seconds. First Place is a gem CAC stickered Columbian Half Dollar pictured above.

Submissions will begin to be accepted on Columbus Day, Oct. 13, 2014 at 12:00 Noon EDT and end at 11:59 AM EDT on Oct. 27, 2014. Online Voting to commence on Monday November 3rd at 12:00 Noon EST and conclude on November 24 at 11:59 AM EST. Winners to be announced on Thanksgiving Day, November 27th

{Insert Photo of CAC Stickered Gem Columbian Half Dollar here}

About The Columbian Half Dollar: This coin was issued by the Bureau of the Mint in 1892 and 1893. The first United States commemorative coin, it was issued to raise funds for the World's Columbian Exposition, held in 1893, and to mark the quadricentennial of the first voyage to the Americas of Christopher Columbus, whose portrait it bears. The Columbian half dollar was the first American coin to depict a historical person.

The coin stems from the desire of the Columbian Exposition's organizers to gain federal money to complete construction of the fair. Congress granted an appropriation, and allowed it to be in the form of commemorative half dollars, which legislators and organizers believed could be sold at a premium. Fair official James Ellsworth wanted the new coin to be based on a 16th-century painting he owned by Lorenzo Lotto, reputedly of Columbus, and pushed for this through the design process. When initial sketches by Mint Chief Engraver Charles E. Barber proved unsatisfactory, fair organizers turned to a design by artist Olin Levi Warner, which after modification by Barber and by his assistant, George T. Morgan, was struck by the Mint.

Some 5,000,000 half dollars were struck, far beyond the actual demand, and half of them were melted. The appropriation did not cure the fair's financial woes, as fewer than 400,000 were sold at the premium price, and some 2,000,000 were released into circulation, where they remained as late as the 1950s. The pieces can be purchased in circulated condition for less than $20; coins in near-pristine state sell for about $1,000, far less than the $10,000 the makers of the Remington typewriter paid as a publicity stunt in 1892 for the first specimen struck.

About CAC: Due to today’s selective collector/dealer, an ever increasing number of certified coins on the market are considered low end for their grade. CAC holds coins to a higher standard so you can be confident in the value of yours. CAC verifies previously graded coins and award our sticker only to those coins that meet the standard for today’s sophisticated coin buyer.

For more information and rules, contact: promotions@fancaster.com

I think the Rules for participation are exclusionary.

Many individuals that would otherwise want to take part would not be able to, because of a lack of technology/ability to do so.

It also does not appear to offer an opt out from email disclosure.

It also does not appear to inform how/when/for what purpose the email may be used by the recipient, should the participant choose to disclose the email.

I have a bit of a mixed feeling about this promotional offering being posted here, but that is for others to decide.

My last passing thought is that quite possibly there are a whole lot of 1892 Columbians that need selling, and somebody has been very busy thinking about how to sell them...... :banana:

To have an opportunity to win a Gem CAC Stickered PCGS MS-65 Columbian Exposition coin, all you have to do is make a short video on your phone or computer describing the coin historically or aesthetically by strike, or color, or scarcity.

Then, send your video(s) to https://www.wetransfer.com/ and then enter email to Promotions@Fancaster.com. Videos should be in MP4 Format and no longer than 45 seconds.

this was well received ATS and called spam here, very surprising......

I'm sure you have a point. I call a spade a spade...and...?

Not in the least bit surprising to me. We speak our minds over here. When you do that over there, you end up over here.

if it was spam he would of been hammered over there......

You are absolutely correct and, no, I don't believe it is "spam" either.

jom

. . . win a CAC stickered gem Columbian Half Dollar . . .

Darn, i guess the UNC Detals 1893 Columbian Proof wouldn't cut the mustard over there at CAC :(

if it was spam he would of been hammered over there......

I think I'm getting your drift. Consider this, though. Let's say this were from QUACK. It's an easy one, now. It's but a cheap way of securing video to promote QUACK stickers.

why say it's from CAC? It's not, it's from Julian who is not with CAC. CAC does NOT need cheap ways to promote their stickers. C'mon man........

Ignoring the "C'mon man" part of the Post for a moment, and quoting the OP wording:

"....Columbus Day CAC Fancaster Challenge (with a little tm thingy)..."

And:

"...Promotions @Fancaster.com...".

I don't particularly care one way or another. I raised some points in my Post, in a courteous way, I hope. I appreciate that Mr. Julian responded yesterday to my Post. It didn't quite address my passing questions, but I think that may be because we are both a little long in the tooth and somewhat befuddled by technology and its uses and what happens in cyberspace, as opposed to the very smart younger persons on both sides of the street.

My only other comment would be that using upper case for the word "not" in your Post, might be a touch enthusiastic. :foryou:

Not at all surprising when you check who the poster of this ad is.. and i agree it IS spam

I hope whoever wins the coin enjoys it, especially if they are a young numismatist. There are many better commemoratives with great history behind them.

However, anyone who digs beneath the surface a little about who Columbus really was and what he did will be shocked at the genocides he and his men committed. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/dominicselwood/100283798/columbus-greed-slavery-and-genocide-what-really-happened-to-the-american-indians/ There are good reasons the holiday is being less observed than it once was, mainly by government and the usps.