• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RCM Flooding the Collector Coin Market posted by Augustus

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does anyone else feel that the Royal Canadian Mint is flooding the collector coin market?

The Royal Canadian Mint has been issuing 100s of collector coins since 2005, some of them quite questionable as to what they are even commemorating. Superman, wolves, cougars, obscure legends/stories, random animals, buildings, leaves and trees, hockey logos, snowflakes ... I mean it is all a little ridiculous. I think this is eroding collector value, as many collectors feel disillusioned with everything that the Mint is producing (and in many different denominations).

Do you all think that the Royal Canadian Mint, Perth Mint and New Zealand Mint (Niue) have gone too far with their silver collectibles?

They are starting to remind me of the Pobjoy or Franklin Mints ... in that they are taking advantage of silver's recent rise to flood the market with coins.

I like the RCM, and their coins, and I am going to work hard to fill a few sets ... but I am thinking that maybe I should refocus on decimals to preserve the value of my collection?

Now that the price of silver has tanked, do you think they will be scaling back?

JG

15990.GIF

See more journals by Augustus

JG,

I agree with you. Plus, IMO, the design detail is often lacking. Some of the wildlife series look decent, but most of the animals look like caricatures.

People are complaining about the number of releases from the U.S. Mint, well the RCM and Australian mints releases are ridiculous. They also try to generate scarcity by limiting the mintages.

Joe

agreed..and some of the series/themes I enjoyed they stop after 3 or 4 issues ( lighthouses, tall ships etc) some of the colorized coins are cartoonish and I have one hologram coin ( part of a lot I got) the CN tower--it looks like a blank planchet unless angled just right away from the viewer at 22 degrees...

I collect the 10c silver proof dimes and also the $2 polar bear coins in proof--at least I know that the proof issues stay relatively normal....

They also try to generate scarcity by limiting the mintages.

Joe

Joe and Augustus, they don't just 'try', they accomplish this.

Back in May of 2013, the RCM came out with a series of four Bald Eagle 1 oz Silver Coins. Each of the four issues were limited to 7,500 strikes each.

I loaded up on the first issue, both in NGC PF70 UC and PCGS PR70 DCAM. I also loaded up on the OGP as well. I paid $99.95 per OGP and $139.95 per graded PF70.

This was just a portion of what I picked up.

DSCN2896.JPG

I also loaded up on subsequent releases, however it was the first issue, pictured above, that I knew would eventually be in demand.

Take a look at what they are selling for right now.

PCGS PR70 DCAM

NGC PF70 UC

I sold all mine quite a while back and was selling them for $350.00 + for the graded and $180.00 + for the OGP.

Why this is a bad thing I do not follow? If a person does not wish to buy a series then just pass on by. At least they are adding value in the process by limiting the issue strikes.

I think half of that stuff they put out is rediculous as well, but I don't think it is a bad thing. I am sure there are some that really value a Superman Coin. ;)

Bill,

Glad you were able to captialize on some of the issues. Personally, I think the Canadian version of the bald eagle looks like a chicken. I bought one of the Perth mint bald eagles in high relief which I think is very cool.

I do own some bullion pieces from both RCM and the Perth mint. If I like the design, I add them. They have low mintages and I hope some day I might be able to sell them for a profit, but that is not my main reason for purchasing them. I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing and agree that a collector can just pass if they don't like it.

I will say that the pure number of bullion pieces they offer is unbelievable. They make so many pieces that it puts tremendous pressure on the pocketbooks of those collectors who want to own all their pieces.

By and large, I feel the RCM has gone the way of the Franklin Mint. The only coins that are decent value are the even up trade series: $20 for $20 and $50 for $50. These coins will probably never be worth their price in melt, however, if the collector market doesn't drive up these coins the worst you have at the end of the day is even money. I subscribe to the $20 coin series for my Godkids.

They try to sell a LOT of one ounce silver coins for about $125-$150 with the sales pitch that they are super low mintages. Just because a coin has a low mintage does not in any way make it rare or more valuable.

If you collect for the fun of looking at the coins these are great. If you are collecting for historic significance and investment, most of these coins are a pass.