• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC questions

95 posts in this topic

I don't own any CAC coins, but I have certainly been looking for any that fit in my collections. The reason that I don't have any is that they go high. nuff said, I guess.

I haven't had to pay a premium for any stickered coin yet. They frequently can be found at the same price as un-stickered coins in my experience.

James, can you clarify your comments for me? Are you saying that "A & B" coins will garner a premium over the "C" coins in the grade whether they have the sticker or not so in your mind, you're not really paying a premium for the sticker, but for the coin itself? Or are you saying you just don't pay any premium for CAC coins?

My experience, which isn't as far reaching as yours, is that CAC'd coins bring a premium over not CAC'd coins. For example, If I see two like coins at an auction house and I judge them both to be "A" coins, the CAC'd coin typically brings a higher price.

I'm not a "slave" to CAC'd coins, but I do recognize what they bring to the table, especially when selling.

You can easily scan through Heritage auction results for Morgan dollars (for example) on a specific grade and range, and find CAC examples that sold for a big premium over non-stickered coins, and CAC examples that sold for noticeably less than non-stickered examples.

I bought a CAC-stickered commem in MS-65 yesterday for $10 below BlueSheet!

And if the commem had not been stickered, you might have been able to buy it for even less. I hope that wasn't an example of buying stickered coins at no premium.

How do you determine that someone is paying a premium for the CAC sticker and not for the quality of the coin itself?

In the large majority of cases, you probably can't. But either way, if a CAC coin brings more than a non CAC coin, the buyer is paying a premium for the CAC coin. It's just that it might be due to the coin and not the CAC sticker.

The ambiguities of this hobby have no bounds.

I don't own any CAC coins, but I have certainly been looking for any that fit in my collections. The reason that I don't have any is that they go high. nuff said, I guess.

I haven't had to pay a premium for any stickered coin yet. They frequently can be found at the same price as un-stickered coins in my experience.

James, can you clarify your comments for me? Are you saying that "A & B" coins will garner a premium over the "C" coins in the grade whether they have the sticker or not so in your mind, you're not really paying a premium for the sticker, but for the coin itself? Or are you saying you just don't pay any premium for CAC coins?

My experience, which isn't as far reaching as yours, is that CAC'd coins bring a premium over not CAC'd coins. For example, If I see two like coins at an auction house and I judge them both to be "A" coins, the CAC'd coin typically brings a higher price.

I'm not a "slave" to CAC'd coins, but I do recognize what they bring to the table, especially when selling.

You can easily scan through Heritage auction results for Morgan dollars (for example) on a specific grade and range, and find CAC examples that sold for a big premium over non-stickered coins, and CAC examples that sold for noticeably less than non-stickered examples.

And if the commem had not been stickered, you might have been able to buy it for even less. I hope that wasn't an example of buying stickered coins at no premium.

It was the first commem in an old holder that I personally have been able to buy back of bluesheet in awhile. But if you simply must have a reviewable example, here's a random one:

$499.38 - 1880-CC GSA NGC MS-63, not stickered

$470.00 - 1880-CC GSA NGC MS-63 with CAC

The CAC coin sold at a $29.38 discount compared to the non-CAC coin in the same sale, one lot apart. Personally, I would have purchased the cheaper (CAC) one due to the price advantage, not the sticker.

It was the first commem in an old holder that I personally have been able to buy back of bluesheet in awhile. But if you simply must have a reviewable example, here's a random one:

$499.38 - 1880-CC GSA NGC MS-63, not stickered

$470.00 - 1880-CC GSA NGC MS-63 with CAC

The CAC coin sold at a $29.38 discount compared to the non-CAC coin in the same sale, one lot apart. Personally, I would have purchased the cheaper (CAC) one due to the price advantage, not the sticker.

It wasn't a must. But I hope THAT wasn't an example of your buying a CAC coin at a discount, either, since it sounds as if you didn't buy it. :devil:

I was watching the Heritage Beverly Hills auction last night. Seemed to me, many of the items were selling a little lower than other recent examples. I picked up some commems at rather nice pricing. None of mine had a CAC sticker, nor were there any with CAC stickers, so comparisons weren't available.

Point of the post is that maybe the market is softening a tad for common coins, couple that with the holiday season coming and also Part V of Eric Newman collection coming at HA. Seems there are an awful lot of auctions going on right now.

I won some nice pieces in the last Scotsman auction and I felt I won them at a fair/nice prices. Stack's just had their big Baltimore Auction, Legend is coming with a big auction. Lot's going on that might also be affecting auction pricing.