• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Submits and Who Buys ???

32 posts in this topic

Before submitting, on your copy of the paperwork take your best shot at a coin's grade. See if you got it right upon the coin's return. If not, figure out where you went wrong.

This assumes the TPG wasn't the one that got it wrong, maybe they are the one in error and in trying to figure out where YOU went wrong you end up possibly corrupting your own grading skills.

Sure but I think that comes with experience. I feel that way about about NT/AT determinations by TPGs. TPGs often make knee jerk reactions about toning which are often wrong. As for grading, I am still honing my skills so while I think I can do a decent job I will defer to a grader in that regard.

But I think its important to note that both grading and determinations of AT/NA are moving targets and often change year to year or even grader to grader and company to company.

True! I recently I had a ICG details coin grade ATS.

Any pics? Braddick ATS had a toned ASE bagged for color by PCI that PCGS graded in a problem free holder. He cracked the piece out :o for some reason, and it ended up in a details slab upon resubmission.

Who here submits coins for grading ?

Are you a dealer ? yes

Or a collector ? yes

Do you just submit the 5 freebies that comes with membership ? no

Or do you submit regularly ? no

How many coins do you submit in a year ? 0

Or do you just buy graded coins and dont submit anything to either PCGS or NGC ? I buy 99% raw coins however I do not discriminate against plastic.

Do you think submitting is important to the learning curve in numismatics ? it can be, if you prefer graded coins.

Or do you believe that by looking at coins that were graded by someone else you can learn to grade ? yes

Are the coins in your collection or inventory mostly coins submitted by you or are they coins that you purchased ? mostly raw for me.

And if you do submit what is the best grade (top pop), star, designation ect that you ever received or are most proud of ? I have submitted 2 coins, one to verify it was real and it graded higher than the grade I sold it at, and the other was an 1850 MS64RB Large Cent

Do you try to cross coins ? no

Do you try to cross them raw or in slabs ? mostly raw

Are you successful ? I feel I am.

Do you submit to CAC ? no

Have you been successful in getting "beans" ? never tried

Share your experiences and knowledge for others to learn from..... Ive noticed a lot of newbies coming to the forums lately !