• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contest: Who has the oldest coin? ( U.S. Coins Only)

21 posts in this topic

It depends upon you define as a "U.S. coin."

This 1792 half disme was the first regular issue IMO. George Washington said so in his annual message to congress.

1792HDObv-1.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

This Oak Tree Shilling, which is a piece of Massachusetts silver, dates from the 1660 to 1667 era. All of them, except for the Oak Tree Two Pence, were dated 1652.

MassOakShilN4O.jpgMassOakShilN4R.jpg

Another candidate is this Lord Baltimore six pence which was struck circa 1659. These pieces were made to circulate in the Maryland colony. They were struck at the Tower of London.

Maryland6dOM_zpsdc2c85c9.jpgMaryland6dRM_zps5682754e.jpg

This 1792 half disme was the first regular issue IMO. George Washington said so in his annual message to congress.

1792HDObv-1.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

Ahhhh my dream coin.... very nice. I got to hold one at LB this year. It was bent and it was still $27,000.00.

I don't think that the Massachusetts silver would qualify as a "U.S." coin.

The only thing that would beat the 1792 half disme would be a Continental Dollar, unless you want to count the Nova Constellatio silver patterns, which I do not.

TD

Only Confederation and later coins, authorized by the national government, would qualify - no matter how nice.

No Fugio cents?

The Fugio was the first federally authorized coin, but the half-disme was the first coin struck by the gov't, I guess we need clarification from the original poster, IMO the Fugio counts

The Fugio was the first federally authorized coin, but the half-disme was the first coin struck by the gov't, I guess we need clarification from the original poster, IMO the Fugio counts

The Fugio Cent was authorized by the Confederation Congress, not the Federal Government which did not exist at that point in time. Any rate here is one of the Bank of New York Hoard varieties, Newman 8-X

1787Fugio8XO.jpg1787Fugio8XR.jpg

I don't think that the Massachusetts silver would qualify as a "U.S." coin.

The only thing that would beat the 1792 half disme would be a Continental Dollar, unless you want to count the Nova Constellatio silver patterns, which I do not.

TD

Well, Massachusetts silver is covered in the Red Book ... along with the Bermuda coinage, which seems to be a real stretch to me.

Some have noted that the Massachusetts silver was "the first shot" in the Revolutionary War. The production of it was an act of defiance to The Crown.

Upon further review I think that I would count the Fugio, but I still think that the COntinental Dollar counts as well.

Boiler78 has a half dozen or so Continental Dollar's I believe. ;)

Upon further review I think that I would count the Fugio, but I still think that the COntinental Dollar counts as well.

Boiler78 has a half dozen or so Continental Dollar's I believe. ;)

That is at least six more than I have. ;)

The train as left the station on that one for me. Their prices are now out of sight. (shrug)

The problem with the Continental dollar is no one knows who made it and there is no authorization for it. It apparently wasn't an official issue which would make it a private or speculative issue.

The problem with the Continental dollar is no one knows who made it and there is no authorization for it. It apparently wasn't an official issue which would make it a private or speculative issue.

All valid objections, but the design linkage to the Continental Currency and the fact that one Continental Currency issue omitted the one dollar denomination is strong circumstantial evidence that it was an official issue of the United States of America.

As to when the United States of America came into existence, I recall that it celebrated its 200th birthday in 1976.

I believe the Continental Dollar was our nations first attempt at a circulating coin. The fact that there is no official record of their striking doesn't prove that they were not intended to be a nationally circulating issue. Their is enough circumstantial evidence (at least in my mind) to prove intent.

The dollar denomination was included in the first four authorized Continental Currency emissions from inception May 10, 1775 thru May 9, 1776. The dollar denomination was dropped from the July 22, 1776 printing.

Quoting Michael Hodder from Bowers book "Colonial and Early American Coins".....

"It is almost certain that the first Continental dollars were struck in New York City in the summer of 1776 just before the British captured the city in September."

It is likely that this early "mint" was fleeing in haste and provides a possible explanation for the lack of documentation about its existence.

It is also interesting to note that the design elements on the Continental dollar are identical to the February 17, 1776 fractional denomination Continental Currency notes.

1776-Continental-dollar.jpg

cc19-comp.jpg

cc-20-comp.jpg

cc-21-comp.jpg

cc-22-comp.jpg

Boiler, are all of those yours? They are amazing! Also, I didn't see you deny holding at least 6 Continental Dollars, which doesn't surprise me in the least.