• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare or not?

17 posts in this topic

Well to answer your question, circulated barber quarters are just sold/traded for their silver. High grade quarters are lot less common. But there are few key dates that even the most worn down can be worth thousands. The answer is a multiple part answer

Ok well my great grandfather was a collector and I had a box full of coins well that was a long time ago and I forgot all about the box and I just now found it with a couple of interesting coins so is it ok if I give you the details on the barber ones?

Well, not to be too contradictory but there are a lot of Barber quarters that are rare in any state. Take a look at the website below. Don't take the prices as gospel but they will let you know which ones might be worth more than melt. There are more than a few that can be worth more money.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/barqtr/pricesgd.shtml

If any you have are on the list provided by CoinDude the next step is to determine a grade. You may have that ability or if not maybe post some pictures.

We can help.

The easiest way to post photos is to use photobucket. Once you've uploaded to that site, it's quite easy.

There are very experienced participants on this site, so once you get some pictures posted, you'll be able to get plenty of feedback on the coins you received from your great grandfather.

I'm not a Barber collector, so I don't know much about this coin. I've provided a link to the pricing guide on this site. Please use it only as a guide. There are other places to gather pricing data. Based on the condition of the coin in the picture, I'm guessing the coin is worth about $20.

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/us/barber-quarters-pscid-36-desig-ms

Are Quarter Barbers rare?

None of them are rare except in a narrow sense. As stated by others here, some of them are worth substantial premiums especially in better condition but that is a function of the demand for and availability of these coins, not their scarcity.

Attended a local coin show this morning. One small dealer had a box full of Barber quarters and halves - 10% over melt. All were about like the posted photo or worse.