• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the viewing pleasure of the wonderful NGC Members...Die Clash pictures!!!

18 posts in this topic

Since no one seems to care on the other board...

Oh, so you're throwing us your scraps now, eh KC?

Miserable twit.

stooges.gif Hoot

That pretty much sums it up!!! poke2.gif

Actually we don't have that many new collectors over here and the one's that are frequent those boards as well thumbsup2.gif

I figured all you old timers would have seen thousands of die clashes by now bumpit.gif

I would not call it scraps, I have always enjoyed die varieties and Vams in particular. The minting process is a critical component of understanding basic numismatics. I enjoy these kinds of threads.

I enjoy them too, and like the images that ol' KC posted on the CU boards. I was really only commenting on his chosen title. It's his age. wink.gif

Hoot

thanks! While not a totally new collector my knowledge is still on the low side. I had heard die clash mentioned a million times but never really knew WTF you people were talking about. confused.gif

That picture made it easy to see what it was, now I will know what people are saying instead of just nodding and pretending. grin.gif

In the first picture you see the indentation of the wreath on the reverse of a Morgan actuall on the obverse near the back of Liberty's head....looks like a saw blade of sorts.

On the second picture look at the fanned out leaves on the reverse wreath...then look left of that and you see a "V" or partial triangle of raised metal.....that's not supposed to be on the coin and is not part of the design, but rather an imprint of the back of Lady Liberty's hair that was caused by the die coming together.

Here's a Roosevelt Dime I plucked out of change several years ago. It has strong clashes that you can't miss. It also has circular die polish lines that aren't just in the fields but up on the lower bust too. I don't know how unusual this is on moderns but it's the strongest clash I've run across.

684751-1983obv.jpg

684752-1983rev.jpg

What are die clash coins worth?

Only for a few notable series and exceptions within those series are die clashes valued to any extent. Some people think they de-value coins. They are more a matter of fascination for most of us and a few select error collectors. Die clashes are more often used to identify/denote varieties and die pairings.

Hoot