• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best deal you've gotten on a purchase?

39 posts in this topic

Let me just start by saying this: absolutely no offense meant - just being straightforward.

I would think these coins would need two things to reach anything over $2:

*Excellent photos from multiple angles to highlight the toning. I can see it's there, but in these shots it's hard to tell if it's colorful (desirable) toning or just darkness (Ha ha Charlie Murphy...) Side note: I have tickets to see Dave Chappelle in STL on Nov 2.

*I think they might need to be slabbed, and then be slabbed at high grades to bring significant money.

This being said, they could be spectacular coins. But it's hard to tell from what we can see. Plus, they are very common dates and I quite often see great toning on coins just like these...so, like I said...high grades, great photos to highlight the toning. Which a toning expert would do.

WITH ALL I JUST SAID: there is no substitute for YOUR enjoyment of these coins. If you are excited about them, to me, that's completely worth the money you spent on them. Keep looking for more!

The last part of this post by stldanceartist is THE most important. I just don't know why the OP is ALWAYS so hung up on money, what he thinks his coins are 'worth', etc. Matters not what you pay, matters not what someone ELSE thinks/says they are worth...you bought 'em (not just the OP, but all of us who have purchased coins), you must like 'em if they are still around...if you like 'em, then you must be enjoying them (if you aren't, you are in the wrong hobby and the $$ could be used towards something else more important). The OP is really hung up on value/cost......this early on, worrying about/being fixated on value/cost/actual worth is one sure way to wind up waking up one day and realizing you now collect sand from all the beaches you've been to.

The OP has a lot of drive, that's for sure, but he needs to stop worrying about how much he paid for a coin vs. how much he thinks it can bring (he's not even close to being at that next level where he's comfortable with his grading skills, and has become a knowledgeable collector, due to taking the time to learn). Seems every time the OP buys a new coin, he automatically goes to the 'how much it's worth/how much he can sell it for' POV....stop worrying about how much your coins can be flipped for (you'll usually be mighty let down, and realize you weren't even in the ballpark). And as stldanceartist brings up....in order to squeeze the most out of a coin's value, having them in NGC or PCGS plastic is the ONLY way to squeeze the most out of a coins value. That Lincoln may have only cost a buck, but after grading/shipping both ways/insurance, if that coin doesn't grade at XX, that $40 isn't going to be near enough just to break even.

As an aside, to the OP, whatever happened to those Frankies you started a thread about, and sent in to our hosts for grading?? Did you get grades yet, and if so, how'd you make out?

And as stldanceartist brings up....in order to squeeze the most out of a coin's value, having them in NGC or PCGS plastic is the ONLY way to squeeze the most out of a coins value.

This reminds me of a conversation my son and I had about 3 weeks ago. He said he didn't see the point of paying to get a coin graded. I replied, I'd get mine graded so if something happened to me, they (himself, his mother and sister) could get the most out of my collection. His reply was touching....."Like I'd sell them!!! I'd keep them to remember the times we spent picking each one out".

Two weeks later, he bought his 1922 Peace dollar for $20 that we have graded around MS 64-65. All of a sudden he was questioning "how much does it cost to get a coin graded?" Well, so much for sentiment....... :(

Anyway, I think my best buy this year was this 1880 S Morgan. I picked it up at the local flea market for $60. After paying for it the dealer said to me "You wouldn't have paid gem prices for it unless it was graded." We discussed the grading companies a bit and I went on my merry way........

1880S-2_zps66d7ffda.jpg

1880S-2-REV_zpsdea94835.jpg

I'll play:

This year, so far it's between two coins I just got grades for (I used my free submissions coupon, so even better of a deal):

1941 D Jefferson Nickel ($1 at a local flea market)

(MS67 6FS, Top Pop)

1941DJeffersonNickel3_zps03579a1c.jpg

:)

SCORE! I'm not a Jeff fan, but this one is very nice. Well done! I can only imagine your emotions when NGC gave it 67 6FS! No question about the FS.

And as stldanceartist brings up....in order to squeeze the most out of a coin's value, having them in NGC or PCGS plastic is the ONLY way to squeeze the most out of a coins value.

This reminds me of a conversation my son and I had about 3 weeks ago. He said he didn't see the point of paying to get a coin graded. I replied, I'd get mine graded so if something happened to me, they (himself, his mother and sister) could get the most out of my collection. His reply was touching....."Like I'd sell them!!! I'd keep them to remember the times we spent picking each one out".

Two weeks later, he bought his 1922 Peace dollar for $20 that we have graded around MS 64-65. All of a sudden he was questioning "how much does it cost to get a coin graded?" Well, so much for sentiment....... :(

Anyway, I think my best buy this year was this 1880 S Morgan. I picked it up at the local flea market for $60. After paying for it the dealer said to me "You wouldn't have paid gem prices for it unless it was graded." We discussed the grading companies a bit and I went on my merry way........

1880S-2_zps66d7ffda.jpg

1880S-2-REV_zpsdea94835.jpg

Nice looking Morgan Ace! Cool story about your son too.

Let me just start by saying this: absolutely no offense meant - just being straightforward.

I would think these coins would need two things to reach anything over $2:

*Excellent photos from multiple angles to highlight the toning. I can see it's there, but in these shots it's hard to tell if it's colorful (desirable) toning or just darkness (Ha ha Charlie Murphy...) Side note: I have tickets to see Dave Chappelle in STL on Nov 2.

*I think they might need to be slabbed, and then be slabbed at high grades to bring significant money.

This being said, they could be spectacular coins. But it's hard to tell from what we can see. Plus, they are very common dates and I quite often see great toning on coins just like these...so, like I said...high grades, great photos to highlight the toning. Which a toning expert would do.

Hopefully the franklins will be back by friday

WITH ALL I JUST SAID: there is no substitute for YOUR enjoyment of these coins. If you are excited about them, to me, that's completely worth the money you spent on them. Keep looking for more!

The last part of this post by stldanceartist is THE most important. I just don't know why the OP is ALWAYS so hung up on money, what he thinks his coins are 'worth', etc. Matters not what you pay, matters not what someone ELSE thinks/says they are worth...you bought 'em (not just the OP, but all of us who have purchased coins), you must like 'em if they are still around...if you like 'em, then you must be enjoying them (if you aren't, you are in the wrong hobby and the $$ could be used towards something else more important). The OP is really hung up on value/cost......this early on, worrying about/being fixated on value/cost/actual worth is one sure way to wind up waking up one day and realizing you now collect sand from all the beaches you've been to.

The OP has a lot of drive, that's for sure, but he needs to stop worrying about how much he paid for a coin vs. how much he thinks it can bring (he's not even close to being at that next level where he's comfortable with his grading skills, and has become a knowledgeable collector, due to taking the time to learn). Seems every time the OP buys a new coin, he automatically goes to the 'how much it's worth/how much he can sell it for' POV....stop worrying about how much your coins can be flipped for (you'll usually be mighty let down, and realize you weren't even in the ballpark). And as stldanceartist brings up....in order to squeeze the most out of a coin's value, having them in NGC or PCGS plastic is the ONLY way to squeeze the most out of a coins value. That Lincoln may have only cost a buck, but after grading/shipping both ways/insurance, if that coin doesn't grade at XX, that $40 isn't going to be near enough just to break even.

As an aside, to the OP, whatever happened to those Frankies you started a thread about, and sent in to our hosts for grading?? Did you get grades yet, and if so, how'd you make out?

I've inherited a few very nice coins. I guess that's a "good deal" even though I will never sell these. Also, I've had some really good luck at the flea market lately. Specifically, I've been buying CBHs either raw or in ANACS or other holders then sending them to PCGS. I have no plans on selling these though. Just a fun way of putting together a set.

When I was 10 I mowed the lawn for this old lady for about 2 months who gave me an 1853 seated liberty quarter as payment. I kept it for 25 years and then submitted it for grading. It came back as an 1853/4 error variety and EF45. I sold it for $400 and began my gold quarter eagle Indian collection.

A few years ago I picked up two MS63 Saint Gaudens double eagles for $2700 which was among my best deals (based on prices at the time).

10+ yrs ago I bought a half roll (should have bought the entire roll) of 1934-D Peace $ off EBay... seller described them as AU-BU.

Think I paid $250 or so for the half roll. All of the coins were VAM4s - the King of Peace $ VAMS.

Highest one graded MS64 and for awhile was a Top Pop coin...

1 came back cleaned.. which is odd but the rest graded and I sold them all off for about $8000-$9000 combined.

I still have the cleaned one though. I had to save at least one of them.