• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Rarest Coin posted by #

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Not Most Expensive

My 1879-CC $10 gold Liberty. The lowest yearly output for not only the particular type but for ALL gold coins coins produced at the Carson City mint. There are several more, much more expensive Carson City gold coins in this grade. According to Doug Winter and Jim Halperin NGC has only certified 38, now 39 and PCGS reports 40. Thats 79 total as in my 1879 mint and proof sets not to mention my favorite number. I'm sure at least some off these are resubmissions but mine was not. My coin was graded Details Scratched because of some mother spooner intentionally scratching it; not normal pocket wear. So two scratches potentially cost me $10K and 2799 points. There's a reason Hell exists and that person is one; IMHO.

Only one need one more coin to complete my mint set then y'all won't have to hear me reference it again; just my 1879 Proof set as it develops.

I have zero hopes of a Registry award as my description is about my family and thoughts not true numismatic information. Also, my images are the indisputable king of ; Polaroids look better. I am a coin collector only, not a photographer. While I admire the masterful skills of many here its just not my thing. I've had offers to have my coins photographed but I'd rather spend the money on upgrades. Two auction houses have offered to image them for free but after my recent experience with the USPS losing a $25K register mail package that was under insured I';m done with mailing. All future submissions and or photography will be hand delivered or walk through at a major coin show only. There is a well known, highly skilled coin photographer that lives within a two hour drive off me. Maybe I can hire him just for the day to come over to my home or I can go to his and just sit in the corner and nap while he works his magic.

Another issue along the same lines I'd like to address is to those high end or world class collectors. Detailed coins ARE important, valuable and needed in numismatics. Some series there are just not enough coins to meet the demand or as in my case, a collector of moderate means simply can't afford one of the untouched coins of perfection. Some even frown on lower grade coins foolishly. For example; Eliasbergs' 1879-CC $10 was only a XF 40, the same coin at the National Mumismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution is only a VF 25.

Lastly, Kerry I'm sorry I just don't have the uh...guts to do the magic you do so well.

Attached is a picture of my newest coin and one of another Details coin that looks amazing. So if your buying the coin not the holder THIS IS EYE CANDY.

15959.jpeg

See more journals by #