• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Buying Is Often A Pain posted by Disavowed Trader

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Most of us have some sort of experience with sellers listing items and misrepresenting what it is they are truly selling and then attempt to fall back on some sort of "out" in the description.

So, last week, I bought about 50 items off of Ebay, and as usual there is always the one seller that absolutely misrepresented what it was he was selling and when called out on it claimed it his time was WAY to valuable to even respond to the request.

In addition he further claimed that he made more money at his real job, and was a waste of his time to respond to the erroneous and misleading Ebay Auction.

At dispute - a listed set of SILVER Proof Sets PF 69 and listed as such and further claimed the image is the actual coins to be received. What arrived was a Clad Proof Set, and the Silver Proof Set was immediately re-listed with the same NGC validated number.

Now, I am not saying member Jackson was the seller, but I have run across a number of people/dealers selling on Ebay, who make a habit of not sending what they are advertising and then claim the buyer had the opportunity to ask the seller about the item. It was only after resolution was refused that a non-delivery of actual item was opened with Ebay, and for the record, my particular transaction was paid for 37 seconds after the auction end and didn't arrive until after asking where the package was.

And again I say, it couldn't possibly be Jackson since he states he has thousands of transaction and the seller involved with me has a mere 400.

Here is the email thread so that ALL are aware of how this transaction happened and what the seller response actually was.

From Me: "Item has not arrived yet and unable to use tracking number supplied by you."

From seller: "XXXX-XXX is the tracking number. I originally had your coins weighed to lightly so I brought them home and cancelled the original label and put a new one with the correct weight. USPS and Ebay automatically put the tracking number into the purchase order but I am guessing that you still have the first one. I have your package in XXXX delivered at 422pm this afternoon. Sorry it took me this long to get back to you but I was at work. Let me know that you received your coins."

From Me: "Kinda pissed off at you. The picture is of a silver proof set and in the description changed to a clad proof set.

Pretty sure you did that intentionally. I will give you the opportunity to make it right before filing a complaint with Ebay."

From Seller: what makes it right with you? You do know the two items look exactly the same? There is one word different. I would never intentionally do that to make a buck or two. NOT WORTH IT!!! This is my hobby nothing more!!! I just made more money than that at my real job while responding to you.

To Seller: What I actually replied with here I wont scribe as I am sure it will offend. And I will leave out the next couple of exchanges as well, as it got heated until I involved my golfing buddy who happens to be the CFO of Ebay. The gist of the retort mostly involved his arrogance and that it would probably be in his best interest to simply reverse the transaction, and to stop his deceptive business practices.

From Seller: I sincerely apologize. I did not intentionally try to deceive anyone and you know it. im at work typing on a phone. 5 minute response to you I said I made more than a couple of bucks. I truly appreciate your business. My intention is not to decieve EVER. I pulled the item as soon as you told me the pic was wrong. I can't fix it here. It is my mistake and I will own up to it. What can I do to fix it in your eyes.

Now let's think about this for a moment. How the heck do I know what this sellers intentions were? Advertised one thing and delivered something entirely different and then said, what's the problem with that? Seriously? There is a HUGE difference between a Silver Proof Set and a Clad Proof Set, as I am sure everyone will agree.

Not until I involved the fraud unit at Ebay through a C level executive did the seller own up to the error, whether intentional or not.

Still no refund.... Not a money issue here but absolutely an ethical issue that seems to plague more and more so called sellers on Ebay. And as an added bonus, the item was never pulled and is still listed on Ebay for sale pending further investigation by the fraud team at Ebay.

I appreciate you letting me vent and as I am sure you will appreciate that most of the time it is the seller who creates problems on Ebay and it is their failure to communicate appropriately when an item has been listed with a clear intent to deceive the buyer.

I couldn't in good conscience let Jackson's post fly without sharing the flip side of a similar transaction.

See more journals by Disavowed Trader

That was a funny story ... Not so much because of the substance of your circumstance but that your communication skills are so poor that you had to involve a Chief Financial Officer ??? of eBay to resolve such a minor issue.

Or possibly that was just thrown in there for added drama .... (shrug)

This reminds me of my time back when i was a gamer and I dealt with many people and money. People would either scam u or sell u the wrong thing and then cut communication. I would say just be careful and buy from more reputable people on eBay. I'm not no pro on eBay but there must be a way to sort the rubbish from the real people selling real things.

Come on, William.

Do you really think that I didn't give the seller plenty of opportunity to resolve the issue? He doesn't even own the silver proof set he has listed on Ebay as it is in a friends set on the registry.

This stupid email thread went on for nearly a week, and the seller had no regard what-so-ever, and is now begging me in emails to not prosecute because he is a family man and a man of God. Give me a break!

This is not about a transaction gone wrong, this is about a clear cut instance of a seller listing items for sale with the full intent to defraud buyers on Ebay by listing items that he doesn't even own.

Now he is facing fraud charges.

I guess I have just been very fortunate in that I have never had to go higher than tier 2 level of support to get a just outcome.

You had me gripped and readily attentive to your plight ... right up to the 'had to get the CFO involved'. That is where you lost me. That is when I found the situation funny.

I actually looked up to check my calendar on the wall, as I thought tax time was just around the corner.... like 14 days away.

Good luck in your future dealings and best wishes on a positive outcome.

I never insinuated that ebay transactions were not a pain in both directions, I have not had as many bad transactions from sellers as from buyers simply because 1) I don't buy deals "too good to be true" and 2) I can choose who I transact with....When selling any numbskull with a feedback rating of 3 can't be blocked unless you write their individual name on a list before the auction.

HOW DARE YOU even use my name in your post when hinting/speaking of fraudulant ebay sellers and mocking my high level of integrity.

What you have done could easily be construed as slander since you blatantly hinted tha I could be one of these sellers, but just not this particular one since our feedback ratings don't match--and you also used my post as a -script.

Why didn't you just save your response for the Chat Boards which are meant for responses? Instead you plagarize and hint at slander...