• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Least Popular US Series

41 posts in this topic

Small eagle draped bust halves. Almost NOBODY collects these by date, even fewer by variety. :)

My ultimate dream list includes one of these coins.... I'll settle for an AG-3.... Maybe one day when I win the lottery.

Small eagle draped bust halves. Almost NOBODY collects these by date, even fewer by variety. :)

Yes, but every type collector dreams about owning one. It is THE STOPPER for most type sets. It was the last silver coin I needed to finish mine.

I have a number of early American silver coins by date including the half dimes and the dollars. I have thought about the half dollars and then I remember that I would need a 1797 half dollar, and that leaves me saying, "no way."

Presidential Dollars have to be pretty unpopular. Boring design front and back. And few care about dead presidents. I started a collection of proofs only because I found some nice toned ones for the earliest years -- but even I think the design is ugly and uninspired. They just don't look like coins, but more like subway tokens. SAD.

Master_ProofPres_Black.jpg

The Lincoln presidential dollar looks down right scary. The look out of his eyes is chilling. It looks like a sequel to the book, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. At the end Honest Abe comes back as a vampire ... a GOOD vampire. :o

GW doesn't look too happy, either.

I remember the CCAC discussions we had on these -- tried hard to keep them from all being look-alikes. Harding through FDR are especially bad....they make the earlier ones look much better.

Not many collect all the shield nickels with rays, either.

Would have been interesting if the 1-cent and 5-cent had mimicked the 3-cent design-- as was the grand plan.

Which reminds me of another question: The alloy for 5-cent shield and Liberty design coins was the same as the 3-cent Liberty, but the 3-cent pieces never seem to have the color of the nickels.....is that just me? Are my glasses dirty?