• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What causes toning like this?

54 posts in this topic

What causes toning like that? A doctor and a frying pan is what it looks like to me.

I am impressed you can conclude this with such finality.

I don't see "is what it looks like to me" as equating with your "conclude this with such finality".

Good Morning Mr. Feld.

Fair enough. We differ in interpretation, and I have a responsibility to explain my remarks.

In the interest of furthering communication, which is always helpful, I will explain my somewhat sarcastic Post.

When a person uses the phrase "to me", it is a statement of individual conclusion; it is finite.

In the Post that we differ in interpretation about, the conclusion of the individual follows a restatement of the question that is being addressed by the individual. It is a finite answer.

By including the words "A Doctor and a frying pan", it is a statement of "reasoned" conclusion by the individual. It was probably intended to be a humorous statement, and if so, that could have been clarified by the use of one of those little yellow thingys.

It is also subject to interpretation as disparaging the coin of another person in a haughty manner. I would think it is obvious that there is no proof that the coin was the result of being placed in a frying pan. It is a picture....as clarified by "what it looks like to me".

I concluded disparagement was the intent. I did so based on many previous Posts by the individual.

As I recall, I have responded to such replies by the individual many times in the past. I have reminded him that as a member of the Board that is respected and is proficient in a number of areas, that such statements should not be made by him, because many would interpret the statement as being finite truth. This is especially a concern because any new member, that is not as "seasoned", may believe such a statement. In other words, he has a responsibility to clarify and explain.

I do not appreciate any person disparaging another person's coin, in a dismissive manner, without clear explanation, and using words and phrases that are not subject to an interpretation of belittlement. It is a higher duty of responsibility when the person is a respected individual.

I know...long winded, and without a doubt, not very important. However, since we can not see each other on a chat board, and can not interpret the nuances of a reply, via facial expressions or body movements or tonal inflections, we all should be a little more aware. Me included, much more so than others, since I am not known and not seasoned and am still somewhat of a newbie (is that the correct word?).

Thank you for the opportunity to explain my Post.

Thank you for your explanation.

I interpreted that post as indicating that the poster thought the coin was AT. He didn't say "The coin was AT'd in a frying pan by a coin doctor". I believe that he included "looks like" and "to me" to indicate an opinion, as opposed to a factual statement. I am not being facetious here - what would you prefer he write to make it clearer that he was expressing an opinion?

I understrand that you thought the poster was disparaging the coin, but I think that's a seperate issue from expressing an opinion vs. stating something as a fact.

Thank you.

It is not so much what I understand. It is a statement of finite conclusion and can be interpreted as same, by many. Just the use of the words Doctor and frying pan is finite without proof, and is disingenuous without providing example of the conclusion, or at the minimum, an explanation of such a conclusion, if the intent was not disparagement. Couching a statement with phrases such as "to me', does not dismiss the intent.

As to your thoughts, the Poster could have clearly stated he thought it was AT, and had the appearance of coins that he personally knew had been placed in a frying pan.

An opinion it may be, and as such, could have been stated with a bit more clarity of intent.

As to being a separate issue, I adamantly disagree. You have, since the many years that have passed that I have been familiar with you, never failed to admonish opinion delivered via disparagement. Perhaps your familiarity with this Poster leads you to a conclusion of harmless intent. I certainly understand. That is not always the case with others that read a Post, and certainly not the case when the Poster has a certain style of reply on many occasions that can lead to an interpretation of disparagement and has been informed about the less than clear subtlety of opinion.

I also think we have both made our thoughts clear, and I do not want to overstay my welcome, which I am sure I already have (although I don't recall ever being extended a welcome, so maybe I am really a party crasher, and apologize if I am).

What causes toning like that? A doctor and a frying pan is what it looks like to me.
As much as I think the discussion of how a coin "received" its toning (the AT/NT debate) is way over blown I have a tendency to agree with the above statement.

jom

Why?
With a name like that you should be offering answers not asking questions! lol Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well done.

Because that was well done, an explanation is due.

Another Board member, in an attempt to belittle, birthed the name in my honor and blessed me with it. I could think of no other method to acknowledge and respond to the belittlement, and use courteous language in a reply. I decided to honor the belittlement, by using the name bestowed upon me, as a constant reminder to the individual of my appreciation for the recognition.

Thanks for the explanation. If you don't mind me asking, what was your old name? And if you don't feel like making that public I would understand.

Welcome to our boards! These boards are for the use and enjoyment of the members of the Certified Collectors' Society, as well as collectors in general.

Thank you. I did not mean to present a wet dog nobody will touch me picture. That would not be correct. Actually, Mr. Feld welcomed me, with enthusiasm and anticipation of my participation, a long time ago. I am not sure of his position now, having received, over the years, that which he desired. ;)

I have come to realize that "non-familiarity" also breeds contempt. I will work on that.

As much as I think the discussion of how a coin "received" its toning (the AT/NT debate) is way over blown I have a tendency to agree with the above statement.

jom

Why?
With a name like that you should be offering answers not asking questions! lol Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well done.

Because that was well done, an explanation is due.

Another Board member, in an attempt to belittle, birthed the name in my honor and blessed me with it. I could think of no other method to acknowledge and respond to the belittlement, and use courteous language in a reply. I decided to honor the belittlement, by using the name bestowed upon me, as a constant reminder to the individual of my appreciation for the recognition.

Thanks for the explanation. If you don't mind me asking, what was your old name? And if you don't feel like making that public I would understand.

You are welcome.

I have never not used my name in all the years I have been here or ATS, except lately, for the reason and purpose indicated. It was not and is not for reasons of anonymity.

It was and is, (whether my Mother wants to admit a connection or not) John Curlis.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some plastic diffraction grating and cut it into circles? Then you'd have "pretty colors" without the blowtorch or Easy-Bake Oven.

No, because it's likely that there was no blow torch or easy bake oven used.

To illustrate, a fine example of courteous admonishment of disparaging "opinion"...similar to replying to a Doctor/frying pan scenario.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some plastic diffraction grating and cut it into circles? Then you'd have "pretty colors" without the blowtorch or Easy-Bake Oven.

To illustrate, a fine example of courteous admonishment of disparaging "opinion"...similar to replying to a Doctor/frying pan scenario.

Thank you. I do think the post to which I replied was stated as more of a fact than an opinion and that the doctor/frying pan post was stated as more of an opinion.

John, is this clear enough for you:

I think the coin has been artificially toned. I do not know the method which was used. I do not like the coin and would not buy it. I think it is ugly. The fingerprint, in my opinion, detracts from the coin even further. These are intended to be negative remarks about this coin. All comments in this post are my opinion only, and are not intended to construe finality. No comments made by me in this post should be used to make a decision about this coin or any other. Any financial loss as a result of ideas in this post are not my fault.

I felt my opinion was fairly clear in the original post, and attempted to make it in a humorous way. I am not sorry you were apparently so offended by my post.

Thank you. I do think the post to which I replied was stated as more of a fact than an opinion and that the doctor/frying pan post was stated as more of an opinion.

I have never known an individual trained as a Barrister to not allow a verbal escape of the written word. ;)

Some would say "Baloney". I will refrain, and will interpret your position as charity toward one, and admonishment of fun. :foryou:

The coin is from Kryptonite Comics (Shane) and It looks real to me. The colors seem to be part of the coin; I don't have many ASEs I only know they tone quickly. Shane did post a picture of the box, one of the first posts. Is that what it came in?

John, is this clear enough for you:

I think the coin has been artificially toned. I do not know the method which was used. I do not like the coin and would not buy it. I think it is ugly. The fingerprint, in my opinion, detracts from the coin even further. These are intended to be negative remarks about this coin. All comments in this post are my opinion only, and are not intended to construe finality. No comments made by me in this post should be used to make a decision about this coin or any other. Any financial loss as a result of ideas in this post are not my fault.

I felt my opinion was fairly clear in the original post, and attempted to make it in a humorous way. I am not sorry you were apparently so offended by my post.

A childish retort.You simply continue with haughtiness born of anger. The point is lost on you.

That is OK. You will sooner or later understand.

To be clear, I am not offended. I am disappointed, as I have many times stated to you, that you have a manner of superiority and haughtiness.

I don't know you. I only know your manner of replies. Your opinion was not clear. It was demeaning, and was not necessary and is no different from Mr. RWB, who was admonished, albeit with courtesy. You deserved no less.

Simply indicate the coin is in your opinion AT. Simply state that it does not have an attractive appearance to you. Simply state it has a possible fingerprint. Simply state you do not know the method used. I am happy that we have established it was not a finite opinion that it was done via a frying pan. Your attempt at humor would have been a bit more successful had you used smiley face, and the receiver of your words would understand the opinion was not intended as disparaging dismissal and/or haughtiness. The fact is, it is a picture, and your opinion should state it is an opinion.

The poster of this thread...me? :eek: I simply trying to understand what causes different colors/textures on ASE's. I DON"T personally see it as AT and if so, this doctor is a clever guy.

Dante

I agreed with Physics Fan. Many of those slabbed ASE's look what some might consider AT, at least they do to me. They always have. Does that mean some can't collect them? Of course not. Whatever floats your boat. I've attempted at one time or another (even rather recently) to purchase one of these I thought was pretty. I backed off eventually but still...I think some of these ASEs have an odd look to them, IMO.

As to the accusations of haughtiness: I'm sorry but I think some need to cool their jets a bit and quit trying to be the local forum police. Everyone has their own way of posting. I suppose it's one's internet "personality". Often what you might think is an arrogant attitude on-line may just be the way you read it. Much is lost when are not talking to the person directly such as tone of voice or facial expressions.

jom

John, I am done with you and your nonsense. I'm sick of your legalese. I'm here to have fun, learn, and share knowledge. I'm not writing a contact, and I don't care to attempt to appease you. If you don't like my attitude, then please don't read or respond to my posts. Goodbye, and good luck.

John, I am done with you and your nonsense. I'm sick of your legalese. I'm here to have fun, learn, and share knowledge. I'm not writing a contact, and I don't care to attempt to appease you. If you don't like my attitude, then please don't read or respond to my posts. Goodbye, and good luck.

Again, childish and simply deflection of the real issue.

I ask for no appeasement. It is not your attitude: it is your lack of understanding.

When I see or read that you are doing the same thing, I will respond in the same vein.

Legalese? What does that even mean? Have you been subjected to discourtesy? Were you belittled? Were you mocked?

You respond as a youngster knocked off the top of the sand box.

You make non-logical comments that can not be supported, and when questioned about it, you enter a mode of tantrum language. That is not learning or sharing knowledge, and neither was your Post. You simply don't like being called on it. You have not in the past, and you won't in the future, until you recognize the problem.

I agreed with Physics Fan. Many of those slabbed ASE's look what some might consider AT, at least they do to me. They always have. Does that mean some can't collect them? Of course not. Whatever floats your boat. I've attempted at one time or another (even rather recently) to purchase one of these I thought was pretty. I backed off eventually but still...I think some of these ASEs have an odd look to them, IMO.

As to the accusations of haughtiness: I'm sorry but I think some need to cool their jets a bit and quit trying to be the local forum police. Everyone has their own way of posting. I suppose it's one's internet "personality". Often what you might think is an arrogant attitude on-line may just be the way you read it. Much is lost when are not talking to the person directly such as tone of voice or facial expressions.

jom

It is not an accusation. It is fact. Language speaks for itself, as does clarity. You assume to much about my comments. Please read my previous comments, if you like, and in fact I encourage you to read every Post I have ever made. You may come to a different understanding of me. There are no jets to cool. You assume anger where there is none. There is no forum police issue. You assume a need to control others, and there is no such need. Don't apologize, there is no need. You voiced an opinion, and tried to do so in a courteous fashion, in your own way.

"I simply trying to understand what causes different colors/textures on ASE's."

Maybe it would be good to focus on the OP's question? He asked to learn from the experiences of others.

I thought his first post was very clear, the only surprise here is that the seller of this has not popped in to post his resume and scold this poster for his opinion.

I have no problem with toning opinions....what I have a problem with is someone without the good sense to know that they don't have the knowledge to valuate a coin. Instead they would prefer to state for the record that a buyer is buried in a coin simply because they are not a fan of it. I see no discussion in Jason's post about what someone should pay for this coin...I think he simply made it clear that he would not be a buyer. I don't scold folks for stuff like that..... (thumbs u

Damn John. Do you really need to be so rude? I thought more of you.

I am sorry that your interpretation of my comments is rudeness. I can not change what you perceive. I am also sorry that my stature is reduced because of the perception of my replies, and the purpose and intent and reasons for same.

Maybe if you read all my Posts, and the replies, with an objective view, it may help alleviate your reduced faith in me. If not, I can do no more. Courtesy is returned when courtesy is exhibited.

Damn John. Do you really need to be so rude? I thought more of you.

I am sorry that your interpretation of my comments is rudeness. I can not change what you perceive. I am also sorry that my stature is reduced because of the perception of my replies, and the purpose and intent and reasons for same.

Maybe if you read all my Posts, and the replies, with an objective view, it may help alleviate your reduced faith in me. If not, I can do no more. Courtesy is returned when courtesy is exhibited.

I can't help you understand when you are being rude to others.

It's something you should know but you don't.