• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this Grade ok 1900 Gold $5

15 posts in this topic

I am a member and have coins graded before by NGC but no Gold. Also being in Australia its expensive and time consuming. Anyone care to chime in with thoughts on this and what it may grade. The fields are very good and am unsure whether this would help the grade

dscn5402.jpg

dscn5399.jpg

From your pics the fields look clear and the coin looks very well struck, the key component is mint luster. That is difficult to determine from your pics. If your coin does have a nice cartwheel luster then it may grade MS63-64.

Carl

I am very sure it is a "details" improperly cleaned coin. That said, I am no gold expert, so it may or may not be worth having slabbed with a UNC details label.

could you explain what in the pics makes you very sure it was improperly cleaned?

the pics are not great, but i don't see any problem that's jumping at me.

MS63 is my opinion.

I am very sure it is a "details" improperly cleaned coin. That said, I am no gold expert, so it may or may not be worth having slabbed with a UNC details label.

could you explain what in the pics makes you very sure it was improperly cleaned?

MS63 is my opinion.

Hey,

Just my newbie opinion here.

Look at the obverse fields, you will find that the luster is subdued. You will also find plenty of concentrated chatter in the fields as well as luster breaks, consistent with a cleaning. Furthemore the contrast of the fields mainly the dark-ish part at 7 O' Clock show a proof-like coin as a result of cleaning/polishing. This is often seen with cleaned coins. Also see the haloes around the devices? These are also a sign common with cleaned coins.

-zx

I have to agree with the improper cleaning. It just looks to shiny, possibly whizzed. It doesn't have that soft look that I'm used to on gold and it doesn't have that PL look that some have.

MS63 is my opinion.

Hey,

Just my newbie opinion here.

Look at the obverse fields, you will find that the luster is subdued. You will also find plenty of concentrated chatter in the fields as well as luster breaks, consistent with a cleaning. Furthemore the contrast of the fields mainly the dark-ish part at 7 O' Clock show a proof-like coin as a result of cleaning/polishing. This is often seen with cleaned coins. Also see the haloes around the devices? These are also a sign common with cleaned coins.

-zx

thanks

I'm just guessing the grade like you.. i'm not saying you're wrong or anything

* hard to tell how strong the luster is from these pics.

* i don't know that concentrated chatter in the fields points to cleaning.

* dark-ish part at 7 O' Clock show a proof-like coin as a result of cleaning/polishing - again, looks to me like the lighting in the pics is the cause. but even if not, what if the coin simply has some semi-proof-like qualities?

Something just doesn't look right to me on the reverse picture. It definitely looks polished in the photos.

I'm just learning gold pieces, but I'm not convinced from the obverse pics that it's been cleaned. It also doesn't have the same appearance as the reverse.

These pictures are difficult to judge. If it grades, I'd say MS63.

I don't think that coin is details cleaned and would agree with a couple others only slightly lower and in the MS62 - MS63 range.

The top photos made me think polished but I think it is just the way the shots were taken. With that head on shot of the obverse I don't see a cleaned coin (beyond MA), but that is just my opinion.

The coin appears to be polished. The photos give it the look of a "flat shine" that does not play with the light the way a Mint State coin should.

Let me try to explain with a picture.

190110O.jpg190110R.jpg

On this $10 gold piece you see a lighter area on both sides. If you swirl the coin under a strong light that lighter area will rotate around the surface of the coin unbroken. This is called "cartwheel luster," and it is the hallmark of a Mint State coin. It is the result of the metal flow when a coin is struck.

This Mint State $5 gold has a satin surface. The cartwheel is a bit more subdued, but it is still there. The differences between this piece and the previous one is that the dies are either a bit more worn or they were polished in a different way.

1886-S5O.jpg1886-S5R.jpg

Either way the "swirl" has be there. If you piece is missing this, something has been done to the surfaces. If that is true chances are it will not get a grade from a major third party grader.