• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth Submitting????

7 posts in this topic

I am looking for some honest advice. I have a set of 1999 Clad Proof Quarters and from what I can tell, they look pretty darned good. I noticed in population reports that many of these coins grade high. Is it worth submitting for grading, or should I just keep them in the holder and be patient. I guess I would need to get at least 2 PF69UC to make it worth confused-smiley-013.gifyay.gif it wouldn't I?

This is what I tell everyone that asks about spending money (wasting money?) on submitting coins. If you have NO intention of selling the coins then don't waste your money. Use that money and buy another set...or lunch or whatever... grin.gif

I apologize up front but I gather you are rather new at this (if not...sorry) but if you DO have an intention of selling and you are new at this you probably should get some advince with someone who knows modern proof grading and pricing. Even if they do come back PR69 whatever it still may not be worth the submission fees.

In general, I just tell newbies not to waste the money. JMO.

jom

This is a decision that's best made purely on the basis of how you like to store your coins. If you like coins in slabs, then submit them. If you like coins in original Mint holders, then keep them that way. Either way, store them in a cool, dry place so that there's little potential for the holder affecting the coin. Mint holders are notorious for hazing proof coins.

If what you want is a complete set of PF69ucam pieces (or 70s), then you're almost always better off buying a set from a seller on eBay. Pay close attention to what the sets are bringing and spend no more than the current ask. Often, you can buy a set of 69s for less than what your total would be to buy them from the Mint, ship them to you, ship them to NGC, pay for grading, pay for return shipping, and suffer the potential disappointment of having pieces that grade less than 69.

Over time, you should be able to discern a PF69ucam from others, but that requires a lot of practice and mistakes along the way. And you may never be able to tell the difference between some of the high proof grades.

Hoot

I am new to the idea of sending in coins for grading. I just wondered if enough of these coins have comeback MS69 or even MS 70 to justify not the cost, but the risk of having them graded. I guess I'm into the adventure of it all, and relish the opportunity of having one of the five come back PF70. Or is that so unlikely as to not make it worth it. My intention would be to sell these coins at somepoint as they are an extra set of the clad quarters....I figure it's proably 15-20 per coin counting shipping etc., plus what I paid for the coin. I guess I'd have to get at least three PF69's, wouldnt I.???

It's generally not worth it. But if you can buy a set of say proof Kennedys or whatever in the next to top grade, people actually make money submitting coins.

If you take a course on grading at ANA, then compare your potential purchases to the best ones you have---then if yours are really perfect in comparison-- then it would be worth it. But you need something to compare things to just like the services ie. a grading set. Plus the education which isn't all that bad a thing to have in the long run to make the hobby fun.

I'm with jom on this one in that if you don't already know what you are looking at, in terms of grade, then you are simply throwing your money away.

You mention that there are quite a few PF69 and PF70 coins out there, well, that means that this set will not be scarce in high grade and will limit the amount of money each coin is worth. Also, I would bet that nearly all of the coins that were submitted were sent in by folks who pre-screened their coins so this also may serve to skew the population.