• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cast Novelty 1776 Continental Dollars Sell For Record Prices

12 posts in this topic

Doesnt some Dan Carr "pieces" sell for significantly more than that ?

I think people are now okay paying hundreds of dollars for "pieces" that they like or want to collect.

Years ago I saw a dealer selling a set of vibrantly toned Gallery Mint silver reproductions for $1000.00. They were all marked copy and probably contained less than 5 ounces of silver but they were very pretty.

To each his own.

Sorry, but there is such a thing as just plain stupid. :insane:

Many years ago I searched thought a bin at Woolworth's department store in Boston until I found one of these things that did not have the word "COPY" stamped on it. It cost me a buck. That was a buck down the rat hole, but since I'll own the real thing, It took it.

Paying hundreds of dollars for something that isn't even a good fake is stupid.

Doesnt some Dan Carr "pieces" sell for significantly more than that ?

I think people are now okay paying hundreds of dollars for "pieces" that they like or want to collect.

Years ago I saw a dealer selling a set of vibrantly toned Gallery Mint silver reproductions for $1000.00. They were all marked copy and probably contained less than 5 ounces of silver but they were very pretty.

To each his own.

My guess is that the buyer wasn't buying something that "they like or want to collect.". But rather, he bought something he thinks might be genuine, in the hopes he can sell for a huge profit. In other words, greed trumped common sense.

I've been watching these for a while as around the time of the Newman colonial sale they started to jump in prices. Some replicas even with the word copy scratched out started to fetch around $175.00 to upwards of $300.00. However these 3 recent examples are even further intense increases doh!

The one listed for $36,995.00 at the top of the page hooks them and slowly reels them in to the net.

What if I get lucky?

The same dynamics are at work when playing the lottery.

What if I get lucky?

The same dynamics are at work when playing the lottery.

Three marks sit down to play cards with W. C. Fields.

"Is this a game of chance?" one of them asks.

"No, not 'a tall," the famed juggler responds.

I'm surprised the sellers didn't claim they are 'metal detector' finds from the North East, but they do mention 'estate find' 'bonus coin from bullion dealer' and flat out "I don't know what I have here"but it might be real or not.

Three marks sit down to play cards with W. C. Fields.

"Is this a game of chance?" one of them asks.

"No, not 'a tall," the famed juggler responds.

The unspoken line is

"You haven't got a chance at all."

Part of me feels that the sellers screwed the buyers and should be in jail, and part of me thinks that some buyers just have it coming to them. Reminds me of watching Bears-Vikings games. I just want them both to lose embarrassingly.