• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 Clad Proof Sets

11 posts in this topic

Am I the only one wondering what is going on with the 2004 Clad Proof Sets from US Mint. I bought a few at original selling price and five more at around $50. I saw last night that several have already sold at $70 and above. I happen to like the 2004 Silver Proofs better and happen to think in the long run they will do better, so I will continue to buy them whn I can from the mint. But my question is, does anyone expect the Clad sets to keep rising? And if so, how high? I think it's amazing. What are your thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

no clue what is going on with prices this year, I forgot to buy my uncirc sets from the mint, by the time I remembered they were sold out. I went to ebay and decided to wait and hope I can get what I need later since the prices are completely insane.

I guess it might be a good time to sell, then just buy them back later at a lower price. (hopefully)

I may be crazy, but I think the 2004 Clad Proof Sets will sell for more than the 2004 Silver Proof Sets for some time to come. The shopping channels have been heaily promoting proof set collections of 45 or 50 years. Given the absurdly low mintage of the 2004 clad set (what's going on at the mint, anyway?) and the popularity of the state quarter program, I can see a high price ($100 or more) being reached soon.

I think the silver set from this year will also do well as it is a subsitute of sorts for the clad set.

In August, I bought two clad proof sets from the mint at the original price along with one mint set and one silver proof set. I did this because the silver proof quarter sets were sold out (which seemed odd). I normally order my sets in November or December but I'm glad that I didn't wait this year.

I don't specualte in proof sets, but if I were forced to buy some for the long haul, both 2004 sets would be among my choices.

I only got one of each of the Mint Set, Proof Set, & Silver Proof Set through the subscription program. I wish I had gotten more. A few days before Christmas I did luck up on a 2004 Clad Proof Set for $28 at a local bank as a gift for my son. One was all they had left or I would have swept them up as well. At that time these sets were already selling for around $50 on ebay. I honestly believe the 2004 Mint and Clad Proof Sets will creep into the $250 to $300 range in the near future and hold there for a few years. Just my opinion.

Wayne

I honestly believe the 2004 Mint and Clad Proof Sets will creep into the $250 to $300 range in the near future and hold there for a few years. Just my opinion.

Wayne

If that happens then there is something seriously wrong with the hobby and with the mental health of the consumer.

But, psychologists say that all collectors are mentally ill to some extent.

Heck, look at me, I collect modern silver dollar commems in a Dansco album and I have less than thirty remaining. But, they are the key dates and I'm about to pay $375 for several 1996 issues. If this ain't insane then tell me what is. I mean, hey, that kind of money would keep Greg Marguiles in beer for two days. crazy.gif

Heck, look at me.

'nuf said. smirk.gif

grin.gif Happy New Year Victor! (Although in Tonopah, I've heard that time stands still... makepoint.gif

Heck, look at me.

'nuf said. smirk.gif

grin.gif Happy New Year Victor! (Although in Tonopah, I've heard that time stands still... makepoint.gif

acclaim.gif (INSERT KOW-TOWing ICON here)

Can't touch that wit. Na-na-na-na (sing in time with MC Hammer's, Can't touch that )

Surely, Hoot is definitely more than old enough to remember MC Hammer when he was on top. Hey Hoot, I'll trade you my New Kids on the Block Greatest Hits for your Milli Vanilli's. insane.gif

Wait a minute, is it too late to delete this post? ......... crazy.gif

p.s. It's been snowing here for the past two days. And this is suppose to be the desert... Now where's that beachfront property around here that I heard about? tongue.gif

Heck, look at me.

'nuf said. smirk.gif

acclaim.gif (INSERT KOW-TOWing ICON here)

Can't touch that wit. Na-na-na-na (sing in time with MC Hammer's, Can't touch that )

Surely, Hoot is definitely more than old enough to remember MC Hammer when he was on top. Hey Hoot, I'll trade you my New Kids on the Block Greatest Hits for your Milli Vanilli's. insane.gif

Wait a minute, is it too late to delete this post? ......... crazy.gif

p.s. It's been snowing here for the past two days. And this is suppose to be the desert... Now where's that beachfront property around here that I heard about? tongue.gif

No trade! 27_laughing.gif Besides, I'm more of a strange mix of late 60s, early 70s and 90s rock music with ample doses of Echoes and Hearts of Space thrown in. crazy.gif The late 70s and the entire 80s blew right past me. laugh.gif

Snow? Yeah, I've been in southern Nevada when it was snowing, wet, colder than hell, and sort of like the beginnings of an ice age. But hey, that beats the 40 below wind chill we have up here right now! wink.gif

Hoot

What I really wish is that I'd started to buy silver proof sets one year before I did start -- in 2000. My brother bought a 1999 silver set from a dealer in 2001 for $60 and I thought that he was crazy to charge so much, but they're going on eBay and at dealers for over $250!

I'm also starting to think of getting duplicates of the clad and silver sets when I buy them from the Mint from now on ... it couldn't hurt, except for my checkbook.