• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picked Up $2000 in Ikes from my Bank...

41 posts in this topic

Well you know who will buy Ikes ??? Coin dealers at a coin show.

I was able to dump about half of the dreck coins to a woman dealer. Even better, she had a $1 slot machine at home that she needed them for - so she took all of the ones I had with me.

As for the off center coin - Im not an error guy. Its not off center its just a misaligned die. Showed it it to Fred Weinberg at LB. Not much of a premium.

After LB I am going to open the 2nd $1000 coin bag and see what I find.

First bag finished...

Sold the misaligned die coin to Fred Weinberg. I pulled a couple of partial and full UNC rolls for myself and I have 4 full UNC rolls from the first bag to sell on EBay.

Checked for varities - found 1 1972 Type 2 coin - probably just AU and I found several UNC 72-D, 74-D and 78-D Peg Legs. No Friendly Eagles though.

Started the second bag...

About 1/3 thru ... 3 silver Ikes - (2) 71-S and a proof 76-S Silver.

This bag is in much better shape than the first bag. I would say that 50% of the coins are UNC. The 76 coins are much nicer. There are a lot of 72-Ps to look through.

Still waiting on finding a 73 or 73-D....

I didn't find many '73's in my bags. More silver and CuNi proofs than '73's.

Generally about 50% unc sounds about right, I kept about 50-100 coins out of every bag as keepers. My prerequisites were 63 or better for '71 and '72, and 64 or better for '74 and later.

The big "silver" clad JFKs and Ikes are impressive when you spend them in all the usual places. And it seems that everyone is interested in the older historical coins. It is unfortunate that banks don't want to deal with them much, they must prefer digital money, and the paper money wears out too quickly.

I didn't find many '73's in my bags. More silver and CuNi proofs than '73's.

Generally about 50% unc sounds about right, I kept about 50-100 coins out of every bag as keepers. My prerequisites were 63 or better for '71 and '72, and 64 or better for '74 and later.

Thats dead on with what Im finding and doing.

So the final break down... Out of 2000 Ikes...

14 various date/mint mark UNC rolls (280 coins) going to EBay for sale.

About 150 coins of various dates/mint marks for my collection.

Spent about $500 of them at the LB show.

Another 150 are in such horrible condition they will be used for tips.

And about 1000 coins that range from XF-BU will be sold in bulk in $250 & $25 canvas bags on EBay that have not been checked for varieties...

As for varieties... I only checked the better condition (higher UNC) coins. Im sure there are more examples in the coins that will be sold in bulk.

1 1971-D Friendly Eagle

1 1972-P Type 2

2 1972-D Peg Leg

10 1974-D Peg Leg

8 1976-D Peg Leg

1 1978-D Peg Leg

Not sure to whom I should submit these or even if these are worth submitting. Im thinking ANACS since they are the cheapest and they do a great job with Ike $ varieties.

As for silver - 3 1971-S coins, one 1976-S proof and an ASE. Surprisingly no Morgans or Peace $.

Overall I actually enjoyed going through these Ikes and depending on how it goes with the sales of the rolls/bags/varieties I might end up getting more bags from my bank.

Well I got through the first two bags. Spent some Ikes, kept some Ikes and sold the rest. Made a small profit. Nothing to quit my day job over though.

But I got another $1000 bag. So happy my favorite teller loves me...

From my third $1000 bag - 170 coins are UNC, 255 are XF to UNC and 575 are VF to UNC but are damaged, stained or worn. This bag was haunted by the ghost of the counting machine. So many nice UNC coins with damage just on the reeding. Nothing major but just enough to preclude them from grading.

I havent checked the UNC coins for varieties yet though.

Out of the first 2000 Ikes I found 24 UNC varieties. Mostly Peg-Legs. 1 Friendly Eagle and 1 72 Type 2.

I keep hoping to find a nice error to make it a big score.

I love the hunt though.