• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886s Morgan Grade?n anyone help me with a grade on this 1886S Morgan

13 posts in this topic

The hair above the ear should not be as flat as it is if BU, the breast feathers and eagles legs have lost luster but the wing tips are perfect. I'm betting it's an AU 58 but it might get a better grade. This is one worth having graded just to be certain.

The hair above the ear should not be as flat as it is if BU, the breast feathers and eagles legs have lost luster but the wing tips are perfect. I'm betting it's an AU 58 but it might get a better grade. This is one worth having graded just to be certain.

Thanks Raisethis2,coin was originally bought from Bowers back in the early 80's with a grade of MS65,looks like the TPG's have really toughened up over the last thirty odd years

Thanks Raisethis2,coin was originally bought from Bowers back in the early 80's with a grade of MS65,looks like the TPG's have really toughened up over the last thirty odd years

Not true, it's just that your pics of the coin in the flip do not allow anyone to clearly judge the grade. As Deerefan suggested, please take pics of the coin outside of the flip. We can give you better opinions of the grade with clearer pics.

Carl

Not true, it's just that your pics of the coin in the flip do not allow anyone to clearly judge the grade. As Deerefan suggested, please take pics of the coin outside of the flip. We can give you better opinions of the grade with clearer pics.

Carl

This,

Grading coins from good images can be tough. Grading from your images is next to impossible.

I think you are seeing strike weakness, not wear. While the images leave a lot to be desired and the coin could be AU, my guess is that it is at least MS63.

If anything, the TPG's have loosened up since their inception. But in many cases, they still grade more conservatively than sellers of uncertified coins did and do.

Again, this is clearly the type of coin that needs to see the Graders to be certain. For the small cost of membership in the Collectors Society (about $100) you can ship this plus 4 other raw coins to our host for the expense of mailing and insurance. They will grade and slab each of the 5 coins at no additional cost and then you'll know. If it is in fact an MS 65 it's a $3000 coin.

This kind of coin is just too important to speculate based upon photo's.

PS. I'm not hawking anything, I'm just offering sincere guidance.

Again, this is clearly the type of coin that needs to see the Graders to be certain. For the small cost of membership in the Collectors Society (about $100) you can ship this plus 4 other raw coins to our host for the expense of mailing and insurance. They will grade and slab each of the 5 coins at no additional cost and then you'll know. If it is in fact an MS 65 it's a $3000 coin.

Or, if he has the opportunity to obtain some expert opinions at a coin show, without having to spend any grading fees or ship the coin, that would be a good first step.

Where's the "Like" button? (thumbs u