• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Help: 1923-D Peace Dollar with Die Cracks Galore

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I have very little experience grading Peace Dollars and am seeking some help assessing the grade of this 1923-D I found with my old coin collection. I didn't really collect Peace Dollars, but my grandfather gave me several that I put aside. It has been in the same cardboard flip for the last 50 or so years, so it has been pretty much untouched during that time.

The coin has significant die cracks in several areas of the obverse. The most significant radiates from just above the "1" to the lower rim, up through the "N" and then across the entire neck. A second die crack runs through the "Y" and ends near "TRUST." There are some other smaller marks on the coin that also look like die cracks. The coin has some nicks in the focal areas (for example, just below the eye and on the neck) and some other issues, but to my inexperienced eye, the coin compares favorably to some slabbed MS Peace Dollars that I have looked at.

So, I am wondering, what would you expect this coin to grade and do the die cracks affect the grade?

Thanks for the help--

John

(Note about luster: In hand, the coin displays nice cartwheels and has a moderate luster. Flow lines are visible to the naked eye. I don't think that the coin has been dipped or cleaned, but I could be wrong since I don't know its entire history. The photos make the coin look dull and lifeless since I tried to photograph the coin from angles to highlight the die cracks and other marks on the coin. I am also just learning how to photograph coins. I apologize if the lack of luster in the photos is offensive.)

LkbKQh1l.jpg

Aa45zkBl.jpg

5poRUbrl.jpg

25M8QZJl.jpg

yoAkMYFl.jpg

Iq0qn4Hl.jpg

The die cracks should not affect the grade.

The images don't allow a good look at the coin, but based on what I do see, I would guess a grade of anywhere between AU55 and MS63. And it is probably not worth getting graded unless it will grade 63 or higher.

Due to the subdued luster it leads me to believe that the coin was lightly cleaned. If the luster is better in hand I could see it as a 63. This is a very recognizable die crack of which I've seen a few but I've never seen one this advanced.

If the coin shows cartwheel it's a keeper. As Mark said, Mint induced damage does not factor into the grading number where post Mint damage is everything.

I'd guess MS 63 based upon the pictures (again, assuming cartwheel).

I'd send an R-6 coin in for grading and authentication 100% of the time.

Nice coin with an ugly wound.