• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

off topic but looking for info posted by us navy vet

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

large stamp collection

Ok guys I know this is a coins forum but I need some info on my large sheets of stamp collection. Does anyone know of a dealer who will look over my collection and give me a value?

Don't know of anywhere else to ask so any help would appreciated.

Thanks and may God Bless...Mike

See more journals by us navy vet

OK this is my experience with stamps. I stupidly purchased what I believed to be some worthwhile collections at estate sales. I then sent what appeared to better material into PF for what stamp collectors call expertizing (love that term). I had several XF-90’s, Several XF-S 95’s and even a few S-98’s never mind numerous VF-XF-85’s. I decided to sell off a good portion of my material to recoup my cost a keep just a few stamps which I would be in at no cost. One thing I learned was that stamp collectors are picky-picky and then picky. If one perf is short that is a fault and the stamp would not be graded. Used stamps with an extremely small fold at the tip of the corner would not get a grade and I could go on and on. Anyway the stamps I pulled together to sell were all fault free and nicely graded. They catalogue value was almost $15,000 and no single item had a value less than $125 and the highest value for an item was $1600. I contacted several stamp auction houses and sent them a list of what I had and a summary of the PF expertize certificate. Everyone turned me down because my items in total would not bring in at least $5000!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless your sheets are all earlier than 1900 you should be tickled pink to get 75% of face but 60% might be more realistic. I know one dealer in Maryland likes to sheets at 50 to 60 percent of face and sell them to business for 75 to 80 percent of face. A win-win.

I took one heck of a beating on my journey into stamps and except to send a letter I don’t go near stamps.

Regards

I was simply going to respond by saying that I have heard from more than one source that the stamp market was way down, but Raminvt did a much better job of explaining current market conditions.

Nice niche by the Maryland dealer...

Cheers !

Rich