• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. 1/8 cent

5 posts in this topic

Just returned from vacation where last year I picked up 2 U.S. Draped Bust Large Cents with my metal detector. This year the same area got me the 1/4 U.S. Classic Head Half Cent pictured. A little numismatic detective work led me determine that it was minted in 1809, 10, or 11. Based on the date positioning below the bust, the very low 8, and the mintages, I'm leaning towards 1809. Any other PUPs or signs that disprove or corroborate this evaluation?

madmet14pg_zps6f5905ad.jpg

Looks to me like 1809 C-6.

The berry centered between T & E narrows it down to 09 C-6, 1810, or 1811 C-1 and 2. On 1810 the 8 leans left so it's out. On 1811 C-1 the base line of the 1 points much higher on the 8 so it is out. And on 1811 C-2 the distance between the 1 and the 8 is greater. That leaves 09 C-6.

Thanks for the info. This is the first half cent (or segment of one) I've had and the bit of sleuthing I got out of it was quite enjoyable.

since spanish silver 8 reales extensively and officially circulated in the american colonies of the 18th into the federal period 19th century until 1857 hm

and

many where cut up as halves and quarters and even into 1/8th 121/2 cents and used as smaller change

someone cut up these half cents in the later 19th century as a test for a metal class exam/experiment to see if they could do it evenly and cleanly with the skills they used it class and then after they passed their tests tossed them at the beach for posterity sort of like throwing up your cap at graduation

or the half cents were cut and used for examples in a history class as these coins were truly circulating colonial and early american coins that circulated extensively in north america and showing 1 bit 121/2 cents

8 reales coin = 1 spanish dollar

to make change

cut in half a 50c piece as 2 make one dollar as above

cut in half again 25c piece as 4 make one dollar as above

cut in half again 121/2c as 8 make one dollar as above

and did not want to cut up a genuine 8 reale silver coin and/or did not have access at the time to genuine pieces of 8 and their cut up fractions they used a lowly halfsister as an example (halfsister is the term by early copper lovers meaning halfcent the little sister of the more popular and valuable large cent hence little sister)

or................................. whatever floats your boat

the list goes on and on