• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there an agreed upon definition as to what constitutes a 'key' coin?

34 posts in this topic

I always thought key coins were about status and prestige, and that rarity and other such trivial concerns were of little consequence.

Although it was once believed that they could open doorways to other dimensions.

Today, it is labels on plastic holders, stickers of different colors and "eye appeal" which signify "prestige", regardless of whether thousands or tens of thousands of other specimens look essentially identical or the difference in actual quality is primarily important because of the price.

I always thought key coins were about status and prestige, and that rarity and other such trivial concerns were of little consequence.

Although it was once believed that they could open doorways to other dimensions.

Today, it is labels on plastic holders, stickers of different colors and "eye appeal" which signify "prestige", regardless of whether thousands or tens of thousands of other specimens look essentially identical or the difference in actual quality is primarily important because of the price.

Glad to hear it. For a while there I was concerned that alien invaders had snatched the bodies of all humans in the world and I would never get my money back on the 1931 s Lincoln I bought.

But you have made it clear that everything, everywhere is still as it should be (or at least as it is).