• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Done Traveling posted by lanebrad

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Vacation trip is over and 5 coins later

Hello collectors

Well we made it home safe and sound seen lots of places which including 5 different coin shops 4 proof JFK and 1 state park. there was this one shop in Minot unbelievable coins piles high and just a narrow path to walk it was great the owner has been in the business for yrs and the shop looked like it he know his stuff and we B.S for a good hour. told the wife we need to go back. On line buying is fine but visiting a shop is a great experience well thanks for reading and looking at my stuff

Lane

See more journals by lanebrad

Hi Lane,

Sounds like you had an enjoyable and successful vacation!! Congrats on your new purchases!! And I agree with you, online shopping is great ( because I largely collect non-US coins I have to do a lot of it) but there's nothing like visiting a coin shop!! Some of the happiest days that my girlfriend and I have spent together have been visiting our favorite coin shop. There's nothing like it!!

~Tom

Buying items in shops is the most fun. I have scoured shops thither and yon and come up with some beauties. The one that comes to mind was the coin with a meteor fragment in it. There were 6 graded in PF69 and I found one in a pawn shop for $125 and sold it at the F.U.N Show in Orlando for $350. That's how I fund my driving vacations. Sometimes it is an old $10 meat grinder for a friend collector, and sometimes it is a great currency find. In a pawn shop/coin store in northern Illinois a few years ago I came across a $10 Hawaii note. Got it for $90 and sold for $360. Nothing is special until you find out about it. I am just now entering the comic book trade, as I came across 35 pristine comics and have already sold 12 of them.

The real good stuff I find goes in my coin collection away from prying wallets.

Have fun, and plan your next trip so you can pay for it with trading. LOVE IT

Capt. Brian