• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 ultra high relief gold coin

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the outcome was of the proposal for a new reverse design on the ASE that they mention?

This is likely to be the most interesting CCAC event since its meeting in April when the body proposed a replacement design for the reverse of American Silver Eagles.

Does anyone know what the outcome was of the proposal for a new reverse design on the ASE that they mention?

This is likely to be the most interesting CCAC event since its meeting in April when the body proposed a replacement design for the reverse of American Silver Eagles.

Just wondering are you in favor of it?

It's already been done. I see no reason to do another one, but it would seem that things like that do nothing to stop the good old U.S. Mint!! Things like this are getting ridiculous. Look at the overkill on the special Silver Eagle sets. Things are special when they're a one time thing and are unique. But when you make a series out of something like that, it takes away from the appeal and often the value of the earlier issues. Look at all of the U.S. commemorative coins that turned into mini series in the 1930's and 1940's. It was ridiculous, and the U.S. Mint put a stop to it, and commemorative coinage as a whole for almost 30 years because of it. And they should have. But now it seems that the U.S. Mint loves that kind of idea and sees it as a cash cow. It's ridiculous, and it needs to stop. If the kind of effort and money spent on these repeated products, and other unnecessary things like a gold Kennedy Half Dollar, who knows what kind of amazing coins could come from it?

Just my thoughts on the issue.

~Tom

A mintage of more than 115,000 of the 2009 versions is huge. They are readily available to anyone who wants one, so a new 2015 version isn't in high demand IMO. Though, this is probably a dream for the eBay flippers and the US Mint profits. My personal level of interest is zero -- and almost negative. ;)

IMHO opinion, the mint must stop this nonsense year after year. If they are not minting poor recreations of late 19th & early 20th century coins, it's baseball, presidents, wives, parks. You can collect this bulk, junk bullion silver or gold, but you might as well buy silver and gold bars.

On a positive note, the mints endless release of junk will only make "real" coins true treasures of marking important events through our long and rich history.

If it's post 1964, it's not collectible. US Mint ought to rename itself the Franklin Mint.

Just wondering are you in favor of it?

I could care less one way or the other and do not collect these ASE's, however, I was more curious to see to what extent the committees recommendations were adopted, and from the lack of response, I suppose that they chose not to adopt the recommendation.

If it's post 1964, it's not collectible.

While I don't collect moderns, I disagree. Some of them, including First Spouse gold coins, have tiny mintages and could legitimately be considered better date material. I don't know if a demand will ever materialize. Unfortunately, these sold when gold was around $1,800 and it wasn't worth the gamble to me.

No ASE reverse change. The UHR gold and silver medal moves forward.

CCAC Supports Potential 2015 24-Karat Gold Ultra High Relief Coin

Note the link may change should they decide to spell 'karat' correctly.

Thank you.

I'm disappointed they decided not to change the reverse on the ASE. I might buy one of the UHR 2015 bullion pieces just to have one. Only time will tell.

Making a new rendition of liberty and making it in ultra high relief is not a bad idea. At least the US Mint is trying to realize Moy's vision of a new artistic renaissance. One thing I would like to see the US Mint do with this is to hire a preeminent sculptor to design the coin, just like how TR hired Saint-Gaudens who was then the nations preeminent sculptor when the $10 and $20 gold coins were redesigned.

If they make the gold coin the same size and thickness as the 2009 UHR $20, a high-relief design can be executed that shows that the mint employs sculptors rather than cartoonists, and the price is in line with what the 2009 UHR was, then I would consider buying one of these for my collection, which is more than I can say for any other current mint products.