• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Proof and Clad Proof State Quarter Sets

9 posts in this topic

What do people think of these in general? The 1999 and 2001 seem to be ever climbing in value. I have heard on other boards and from other collectors that perhaps 2004 sets might see substantial growth over time, due to last Saq dollar and new nickels.

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on these unique sets? 893blahblah.gifsumo.gif

I'm curious when the Mint announced the Sackie won't be made any more. As far as I have heard, there are no plans to sack the Sac. confused-smiley-013.gif I know that there is legislation up to put the presidents on the $1 coin over the next 10 years, but that has not yet passed. (And I truly hope it does not.)

Anyhow, I think that the price of 1999-2004 proof sets will continue to rise a bit, but how much more is pure guesswork. Personally, I'd have never expected them to rise to their current levels.

Nice sets that are worth whatever you may think them to be.

Hoot

The 2004 Mint and Proof sets are sold out. The silver sets are the only sets that are still available from the Mint. Because of relatively low mintages, etc., the 2004 sets are already over $40. on EBay.

The 2004 mint sets were the lowest mintage since 1963 but, then again, the '63 set isn't worth much but it doesn't contain the state quarters or new nickels either. The 2004 mint set had a mintage of c. 844,000.

Anyone know the mintage for the 2004 clad proof sets?

The introduction of the states quarters in 1999 played a key role. The popularity of these coins created many new collectors but the programs for that year ended before many of them were able to get the silver and clad proof sets. As a result, the proof sets are routinely selling for 5-10X the original price in the aftermarket.

Now, 2004 comes along with two new nickel designs, and more new collectors are created because of the historic association. Does anyone know if the mint has ever released two different designs of the same coin in one year? I would expect the same to happen in 2005 with the introduction of a totally new "Jeff" design.

Chris

Does anyone know if the mint has ever released two different designs of the same coin in one year?

Chris

The US Mint issued two nickel design types in the following years: 1867, 1883 (x3), 1913, 1938 and 2004. 1913 does not count for the "V" type since it was coined w/o authorization. 1913 does include the w/ and w/o mound Buffalo nickel.

Then there are the Seated Liberty coinage with and without motto for the same year.

1793 had different varieties of large cents.

1839 shared the bust and seated liberty halves.

Did the Trade and the Morgan dollars overlap in 1879?

1917 had two types of Standing Liberty quarters.

And the commem issues are another issue altogether.

p.s. This is from memory in the early am so if I'm mistaking on any of the facts then cut me some slack. insane.gif

Thanks! I was thinking in terms of the same coin, e.g., Jefferson obverse with two different reverses. Of course, there was the 1883 "V" nickel with and without "Cents", but that was to prevent scam artists from passing them off as $5 gold pieces. Are there others that meet my revised criteria?