• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin arrives in the nick of Trime

6 posts in this topic

Coin arrives in the nick of Trime

I received today the 1859 CAC MS-63 3 Cent silver I had ordered last week. Initially I had received a package from the seller on Monday, but when I opened it, my jaw must have dropped as I was looking at a 1926 MS65FB CAC Mercury Dime, certainly a nice coin, but not a trime by any means.

I called the dealer and he was quick to make amends. I sent the Mercury back, and was credited with my shipping plus an addition "inconvenience" credit and all is now well.

This is now the 10th 3CS in my Somerville set, and I really love these little guys. My 3CS collecting goal is not completion, as business strike dates after 1862 were in very low mintage, hard to find, and very expensive. In fact many past collectors have chosen to collect the post 1862 dates in proof or a proof/unc combo. Rather, I will finish out the four remaining coins between 1851 and 1862 and probably move on, or as my favorite bandito Calvera, aka Eli Wallach said to Chris, the great Yul Brenner in the Magnificent Seven... Ride On !

With the 1851-O and the 1862/1 overdate this would be a consecutive run a 14 trimes a nice accomplishment. Right now I have a grade range of MS-65 (1), MS-64 (6), MS-63(2) and MS-62 (1). The collecting goal was a grade range of MS63-MS64.

All coins are nicely toned and well struck for date, that is part of the hunt. The present purchase is interesting because of the relative lack of die cracks and clashing, very unusual for these coins. I hope to complete the set by end of 2016, basically, find the easier 1852 and one other remaining date next year and wrap the set up the following year. If I can pull this off, seven years of hunting for these 14 gems. I mention all of this as I try to be patient and preach patience, and also have a workable plan that meets my budget constraints.

Continued success to all !!

Rich

15689.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Very nice coin Rich! I need one of these for my type set and I was thinking of getting the 51-O. However, if I get that one as the only mint-marked trime, I won't be able to get my type in MS. Which way should I go? Less expensive year in MS or something less than MS 51-O? What would you do?

Gary

Hey Rich,

First off.....nice coin!!! I'm not much of a US classic guy, but I've always dug the strange denomination coins like the silver 3 Cent. I don't own one myself currently, but I greatly await the day that my girlfriend goes shopping for that coin for her US Type Set!! It'll be a ton of fun helping her pick one out ( I live vicariously through her with classic US most of the time.)

I also really like your approach to collecting them. It's a real shame when collectors let a few coins that may be outside of their collecting budgets deter them from enjoying the coins from those series that they can obtain. I have to approach a few of my sets this way myself. I adore Silver Eagles, but I may never go for a 1995-W. My German Reichskreditkassen coin sets will likely never be complete either as there are some insanely ridiculous rarities in those series, most notably the 1941-F ( Stuttgart Mint) 10 Reichspfennig coin. They know of a whole 2 survivors. And I may never have a chance to acquire the one type of 1915 Ottoman 20 Para that I still lack but I still enjoy these sets immensely with the coins that I can afford and acquire and I love the coins I can get.

I also checked out your whole set on the Registry and wow!!! You have some real stunners! You should be so proud of that set. Let me know when you get pics of the coins that don't have them yet.....I'd love to be able to check them out as well!!

Congrats on your new purchase my friend, and what a heart stopper it had to have been to see a Mercury dime instead of a trime!! I'm glad the dealer was able to make it right for you.

~Tom

Spectacular set you have of trimes. I intended to take a quick look at your set but instead ended up spending a while looking through your assembled set.

It amazes me to think that any of these small-and easily bent- coins made it 150+ years in mint state. It shows the dedication and care that our forefather collectors took in maintaining and storing these gems.

P: My favorite Eli Wallach line is as Tuko, " when it is time to shoot, -shoot, don't talk" from the good the bad and the ugly...think of how many bad guys have had the drop on the hero but died because they felt the need to gloat or recap their dastardly plan before pulling the trigger...must be a metaphor in there somewhere.

Jackson,

Thanks so much for the kind words.

Maybe the metaphor is : When it's time to pull the trigger on a great coin do it, don't hem and haw.

Great collections are not formed by the faint of heart.

Cheers!

Rich