• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Collections

42 posts in this topic

I should add that the communication is great.

I had a toned for sale that was not represented well by the picture and after contacting them a new and better pic was up the next day.

Haven't had the chance to consign anything to sell with the yet, but planning on doing that soon. Many recommended them, and they have the lowest fees for sellers (only 5%, and if your coin sells for $1000+, 0%!)..

Been buying from them a lot for a while now, I have nothing but good words for them. Great costumer service!

I can only add my voice to the choir and agree that they are great to buy from. Very quick shipping, the coins were well packaged, and no problem transactions.

Doug

Follow the below link to a detailed report I posted two years ago about my fist consignment with Great Collections. To tell you the truth, I think that GC sets the standard for the industry in customer service and sellers/buyers fees Two years ago they were the new kid on the block and since then have made a very respectable name for themselves. I have nothing but the highest respect for them.

Gary

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5717606&fpart=1

I have bought and sold on Great Collections many times in the past year now and I have always been pleased with their service. I'd have to give a big shout out to Ian Russell too. I've sent several emails to him in the past and he has always answered my messages, most of the time in less than a couple hours. I like that there is no minimum consigment and their fees are much lower than other venues. I also think it's great when I receive my consignment proceeds 7-10 days after the auctions close. Some of the other venues take up to 45 days to cut a check.

I would highly recommend Great Collections, whether you are buying or selling.

I have bought and sold on Great Collections many times in the past year now and I have always been pleased with their service. I'd have to give a big shout out to Ian Russell too. I've sent several emails to him in the past and he has always answered my messages, most of the time in less than a couple hours.

I'll add to that and give a shout out to Raeleen (she's the director of client services), for the great costumer service and helping with everything you might need.

I've emailed her last Friday about an invoice I was waiting on, and i swear it took no more than 10 minutes to get that invoice and a reply (worship):applause:

I have bought and sold on Great Collections many times in the past year now and I have always been pleased with their service. I'd have to give a big shout out to Ian Russell too. I've sent several emails to him in the past and he has always answered my messages, most of the time in less than a couple hours.

I'll add to that and give a shout out to Raeleen (she's the director of client services), for the great costumer service and helping with everything you might need.

I've emailed her last Friday about an invoice I was waiting on, and i swear it took no more than 10 minutes to get that invoice and a reply (worship):applause:

Raeleen is so efficient that I once emailed her on a Thursday and received a reply the prior day. (thumbs u

There have been threads on various auction companies at Collector's Universe. David Lawrence has great auctions and frankly HA and Stacks Bowers set the gold standard. Ebay remains one of the biggest and best venues where sellers do not have to go through all the auction hassles as you do with shipping your coins to an auction company and being subject to their terms of which I have heard a number of highly problematic stories. As usual, do your own DD.

There have been threads on various auction companies at Collector's Universe. David Lawrence has great auctions and frankly HA and Stacks Bowers set the gold standard. Ebay remains one of the biggest and best venues where sellers do not have to go through all the auction hassles as you do with shipping your coins to an auction company and being subject to their terms of which I have heard a number of highly problematic stories. As usual, do your own DD.

I guess you did not read the question that the op set forth as your reply has no relevance at all. Now back to the topic at hand, I have bought and sold on GC and everything was 100% awesome.

Raeleen is so efficient that I once emailed her on a Thursday and received a reply the prior day. (thumbs u

I swear that's what it felt like :o

out of curiosity, I went back and checked the actual time on the email and it is, indeed, impressive..

On Jun 20, 2014, at 4:55 PM Raeleen Endo wrote:

on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Yoni C wrote:

I don't understand this reply to the question posted..

but i'll add that out of all the the venues listed for selling your coins, I feel like if the individual coin in the collection has a value of

- $2500-$10,000, I would definitely pick GreatCollections over the other big auction houses. - under $2,500, either eBay or GC.

GC is not really in the league of the major auction houses like Heritage Auctions and Stacks/Bowers whether buying or selling. And compared to ebay they are in the single percentiles of percent. Compare and contrast the staffs of the various companies, the size of the auctions that are run, how long the principal workers have been in the numismatic business. The quality top to bottom of the leading companies. Buyers and sellers just need to do their due diligence depending on what they are buying or selling.

but i'll add that out of all the the venues listed for selling your coins, I feel like if the individual coin in the collection has a value of

- $2500-$10,000, I would definitely pick GreatCollections over the other big auction houses. - under $2,500, either eBay or GC.

Sound advice.

GC is not really in the league of the major auction houses like Heritage Auctions and Stacks/Bowers whether buying or selling.

Possibly bad advice.

For your average collection, I don't think those you mention will even agree to accept them for auction. They have, on occasions that I know of, through another collector here on this forum, rejected their business based on the opinion that their coins were not of the 'quality' of coins that they work with. Apparently if you have a collection the caliber of Bill Jones, then maybe those that you mention are great choice. Most people don't have those types of collection. I seriously doubt that this OP has that kind of collection, either.

Sound advice.

GC is not really in the league of the major auction houses like Heritage Auctions and Stacks/Bowers whether buying or selling.

Possibly bad advice.

For your average collection I don't even think those you mention will even agree to accept them for auction. They have, on occasions that I know of personally through another collector here on this forum, that their coins were not of the 'quality' of coins that they work with. Apparently if you have a collection of the caliber of Bill Jones then maybe those that you mention are great choice. Most people don't have those types of collection. I seriously doubt that this OP has that kind of collection, either.

Bill, I believe we had a conversation about Heritage a while back.

I contacted Heritage back in March to see about consigning a group of coins because I wanted to see what the experience was like with Heritage. I sent them an email, listed all the coins I had, included some images and I was surprised by the quick response I received. The email I got asked that I call and speak to someone so that's what I did. I do not remember the man's name and I no longer have his email. Although what he said to me was over the phone. Anyhow, the man I talked to was, in my opinion, very rude and arrogant. At the time, Heritage did not have any information regarding minimum consignment values, or at least, I could not find that information. I did not know that they needed a minimum of $5000 in consignment and the man pretty much acted like I was wasting his time. He then began to talk down to me and told me that I had 1 good coin(a 1954 Proof-66 Ultra Cameo Roosevelt Dime) and the rest were "losers" and not "worth their time to even list for auction". Then he finished the conversation with "Maybe you should start collecting coins people will buy instead of junk." I will continue to buy from Heritage but I will never, NEVER, consider selling through them again, even if I have $1,000,000 worth of coins to sell.

Yes I remember the conversation we had and that was the one I was refering to but I was going to leave out your name unless you wished to chime in.

I will always remember that about Heritage. But, in the grand scheme of things, it would be doubtful I could ever have a collection that Heritage felt was 'worthy' of their time.

Thanks for chiming in Justin.

Anyhow, the man I talked to was, in my opinion, very rude and arrogant. At the time, Heritage did not have any information regarding minimum consignment values, or at least, I could not find that information. I did not know that they needed a minimum of $5000 in consignment and the man pretty much acted like I was wasting his time. He then began to talk down to me and told me that I had 1 good coin(a 1954 Proof-66 Ultra Cameo Roosevelt Dime) and the rest were "losers" and not "worth their time to even list for auction". Then he finished the conversation with "Maybe you should start collecting coins people will buy instead of junk."

Holy #%*! Are you serious??

I only said I would choose GC over the big boys because of their nice costumer service and super low fees, but that's right there is another reason!

Did he seriously say that to you??

First, This guy needs to learn how to treat costumers. This is no way to talk to a costumer that is giving you business, and definitely not about his collection. Would a polite "no, thanks" do?

Second, with a 17.5% buyer premium + some heavy percentage-based fee taken from the seller, you would probably see very little money off the sale price if sold through them.

I do NOT understand why they feel like they need to charge the seller too, after they charge almost 20% buyer premium???? I'd think that to cover their expenses + make a reasonable profit, 17.5% are quite enough (especially since apperantly they only accept "high-end" coins..?).

Lastly, I'm sorry, but I'm glad they rejected your coins, since I then got to but that 1954 proof dime :grin:

GC is not really in the league of the major auction houses like Heritage Auctions and Stacks/Bowers whether buying or selling. And compared to ebay they are in the single percentiles of percent. Compare and contrast the staffs of the various companies, the size of the auctions that are run, how long the principal workers have been in the numismatic business. The quality top to bottom of the leading companies. Buyers and sellers just need to do their due diligence depending on what they are buying or selling.

I can understand what you're saying here, I was just saying your reply was not very relevant because the OP asked what our opinion was on GreatCollections. He did not ask what are some other venues we suggest for him to sell his coins at.

In addition, for the points you made:

It does not matter to the seller, who the staff is, how long they've been in business, the size of other auctions they run etc etc..

What matters is:

- security and safety of your consignment items.o

- nice and friendly costumer service

- advertising and maximizing buyer's demand

- percentage of total money received from the sale price.

Staff and auction house as big and famous as may be, makes no difference to me. The best butcher in town sells a piece of rotten meat, doesn't make it a good product.

Look at auction results for items sold by these big companies (stack's, HA) and by smaller ones (like GC), and sometimes you see that at the big auction houses - similar coins bring higher prices.. Well that's a good reason to consign with them, isn't it??

It's not.

Let's take for example a Morgan dollar with a value of $2500..

By GC: the buyer wants to pay $2,500. He would bid around $2,275 so that his total with the 10% BP will be $2500.

By HA: the buyer wants to pay $2,500. He would bid around $2,125 so that his total with the 17.5% BP will be $2,500

Lets assume both buyers won with their max bid..

What the seller GETS:

- from GC: $2,275. Straight. No fees.

- from HA: $2125 minus sellers fee (even if it was 0% - the seller is already down $150. If seller's fee is 10%, the buyer is out $400).

Do you see what I'm saying..?

Over the years the quality and rarity of coins consigned and sold through Great Collections has gradually increased. Today there are coins sold through Great Collections that at one time were only sold through the larger auction houses.

Starting from ground zero to where they are today has been nothing less than spectacular for Great Collections. They have carved out a niche market based on the foundation of sound business practices like value and customer service.

True, I still buy coins through Heritage and they are good at marketing rare and valuable coins to the numismatic community. However, what Great Collections is building is customer loyalty which counts for a lot with an average collector like myself who will never own a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel. Just as with dealers whom I like to do business, I am getting much more than a coin, I'm getting a person to whom I matter as a customer.

Gary

BTW, the premise of the previous post that buyers don't pay fees is true. If I adjust my bids accordingly based on the buyers fee you can bet other collectors do also. Therefore, the seller bears all the cost except for postage of course.

Over the years the quality and rarity of coins consigned and sold through Great Collections has gradually increased. Today there are coins sold through Great Collections that at one time were only sold through the larger auction houses.

Starting from ground zero to where they are today has been nothing less than spectacular for Great Collections. They have carved out a niche market based on the foundation of sound business practices like value and customer service.

True, I still buy coins through Heritage and they are top-rate at marketing truly rare and valuable coins to the numismatic community. However, what Great Collections is building is customer loyalty which counts for a lot with an average collector like myself who will never own a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel. Just as with dealers whom I like to do business, I am getting much more than a coin, I'm getting a person to whom I matter as a customer.

Gary

I agree with every word

BTW, the premise of the previous post that buyers don't pay fees is true. If I adjust my bids accordingly based on the buyers fee you can bet other collectors do also. Therefore, the seller bears all the cost except for postage of course.

exactly! more people need to understand that a buyer premium of 5%, 10%. 17.5% or even 30% does not matter AT ALL to the buyer! the seller is the only side that loses because of high BP's, and that's why it is relevant to this thread

Sound advice.

Possibly bad advice.

For your average collection I don't even think those you mention will even agree to accept them for auction. They have, on occasions that I know of personally through another collector here on this forum, that their coins were not of the 'quality' of coins that they work with. Apparently if you have a collection of the caliber of Bill Jones then maybe those that you mention are great choice. Most people don't have those types of collection. I seriously doubt that this OP has that kind of collection, either.

I contacted Heritage back in March to see about consigning a group of coins because I wanted to see what the experience was like with Heritage. I sent them an email, listed all the coins I had, included some images and I was surprised by the quick response I received. The email I got asked that I call and speak to someone so that's what I did. I do not remember the man's name and I no longer have his email. Although what he said to me was over the phone. Anyhow, the man I talked to was, in my opinion, very rude and arrogant. At the time, Heritage did not have any information regarding minimum consignment values, or at least, I could not find that information. I did not know that they needed a minimum of $5000 in consignment and the man pretty much acted like I was wasting his time. He then began to talk down to me and told me that I had 1 good coin(a 1954 Proof-66 Ultra Cameo Roosevelt Dime) and the rest were "losers" and not "worth their time to even list for auction". Then he finished the conversation with "Maybe you should start collecting coins people will buy instead of junk." I will continue to buy from Heritage but I will never, NEVER, consider selling through them again, even if I have $1,000,000 worth of coins to sell.

That doesn't sound like anyone I know at Heritage. I am sure that many people with much smaller collections than yours have called in or emailed and been treated extremely nicely. I know, because I speak to such people, almost on a daily basis.

If you can think of the name of the person you spoke with, I would like to know. Thanks.

Just wanted it to be clear that I have nothing against HA specifically. i was referring to the whole "big" auction houses in general.

As a buyer (I never sold through them), it does not affect me - for all i care there could be a 5% or a 50% BP, and I will adjust my bid accordingly. My total bid would be the same, and I keep buying from them.

My comments were from a seller's standpoint only.

Sound advice.

Possibly bad advice.

That doesn't sound like anyone I know at Heritage. I am sure that many people with much smaller collections than yours have called in or emailed and been treated extremely nicely. I know, because I speak to such people, almost on a daily basis.

If you can think of the name of the person you spoke with, I would like to know. Thanks.

Mark, I wish I could remember the person's name. It happened back in March. I had the email from the person and it had his name. But after I got off the phone with him, I was so disgusted with the way I was treated that I deleted the email and my "Trash" folder in my email automatically deletes the contents of the folder after 30 days. I probably should have said something when it happened, but I just let it go.