• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atocha Coin Values?

7 posts in this topic

Hello

I collect comics and comic art mostly but for a while I was buying atocha coins with treasure salv matching certs. I have three grade 1s with various assay marks and dates (visible). Is there a place I could get a value on these coins to sell? I don't see people talking much about them here so I wasn't sure if this was the place to post em for price opinions.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I think your best bet would be to find comparable items that have sold on Ebay. Another place would be the auction archives at sedwick.com. Typical price guides only assign values to undamaged coins

There isn't much activity in this section of the forum and world coins cover a wide range of items. This is why you are unlikely to find any historical comments on coins like these, even though Spanish colonial cobs are more popular than most.

You can also try looking at the archives on Heritage and Aureo & Calico and Cayon in Spain.

My suggestion was for you, zhamlau, to look through the auction archives. The information is out there if you want to find it and compile it on your own. I'm not surprised you couldn't get someone else to do it for you as this takes quite a bit of time and effort to do a thorough job.

You could offer it up for sale to one of the auction houses that deal with these coins and they will probably give you an estimate which you could accept or decline.

Edit: A quick look on Ebay using "8 reales" atocha grade 1 as a search term shows several recent sales ranging from $699 - $1350.

The main factor in determining the value of an Atocha coin is if it has the original Treasure Salvor's certificate. If it doesn't, it isn't worth more than any other 8 reale. If you have grade 1's, with CoA's AND visible dates you have quite a commodity on your hands. I say, without seeing the coins, starting price $850.00 and up. I've bought and sold Atocha coins for years.