• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany

1 post in this topic

Well, after all the excitement of Baltimore, I concluded my five-show, two week coin orgy by going to the monthly Parsippany show yesterday - even though I knew that neither Tom nor Jeremy would be there. As usual, this 80-table show was packed. It was very hard to get through the aisles for the hour and a half I was there.

I was pleased to run into Wihlborg (we talked about Baltimore and toned Buffalos). I think that all of the dealers who are regulars at Parsippany and who were down in Baltimore were at Parsippany - all looking a little worn around the edges.

Feeling rather spent, I wasn't really looking for much, but I was pleased to get a nice VF/XF 1928-S Mercury for my raw Dansco set. As those of you who collect Mercuries know, the mintmarked coins from the 20s are not easy to find in mid grades.

I was having a very nice conversation with njcoincrank, who was hanging out at the show promoter's table, when this older man came up to the show promoter and proceeded to work himself into a red-faced loud rant about the shortage of chairs at the show - he didn't ask for more chairs, he just lit into the promoter for "not doing his job". After a few minutes, he was ushered away by a Parsippany policeman (gee, who did he think provided security to a coin show held in a PAL building?). The guy had gotten so red in the face that both njcoincrank and I half expected him to have a heart attack or stroke on the spot. (Over some chairs - you gotta be kidding!)

Finally, on my way out, I was called over by one of my favorite dealers, who showed me a brand-new purchase: several coins that had been fished out of the drawers of some old furniture! Wow! talk about thick "skin" and natural toning. He said they weren't ready for sale yet, but I called dibs on a nice old quarter - hopefully I'll be able to talk about it next month!