• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever taken a break from collecting?

23 posts in this topic

Have you ever taken a brake from coin collecting? I don't mean the break many take between collecting as a child and when you picked it back up as an adult. Rather, I mean a break between a time when you were a significant collector and now?

If so, how long, and what were your thoughts? Did the fact that you had thousands of dollars in coins stay in the back of your mind, or did your collection just slip from your mind? Did you regret taking a break, or were you pleasantly surprised when you picked it back up?

I've taken a break from it for the last several years, however, my Registry Set is still here. I got into collecting WWII and Antique firearms, and left the coins on the "back burner". Inadvertently came across a nice Large Cent on Ebay a few days ago, and the old fire was rekindled. I haven't been on this site for years, just returned a few days ago....

A couple of years ago, I took a break for several months. I took a break from the boards here as well. Many of you remember that. I had gotten to a point where collecting was no longer fun - it had become a chore. My attitude on the boards was growing increasingly bitter, antagonistic, patronizing, and negative. I decided to take a break - at the time, I had no idea how long it would be. But I knew that I needed to.

So I did. I spent several months pursuing other things. I still had all my coins, I still enjoyed looking at them, but I didn't really pursue the hobby or keep up with things. I didn't post at all.

Finally, after several months, I knew it was time to return. That break was refreshing and invigorating. I am extremely happy that I took the break. At the time, I knew that I wasn't leaving the hobby for good, and so I had no intention of selling most of my stuff (althouhg, as a result of the break, I found my priorities had shifted quite a bit). I am back, and I am more serious than ever as a collector - and that time away from the hobby helped me mature. I have been a collector pretty much my entire life, with pretty much no pause (starting from when I was a very small child to now).

If you are feeling tired with the hobby, or burntout, or anything like that, take a break from it. This is a hobby. For only a very small few is this a job - and even they shouldn't do it if they don't love it.

I think every collector needs to take a break every now and then to remain in the hobby,

What a "break" means is up to each individual. For some it means nothing coin related. For others it means not buying anything new or perhaps selling off some of the collection. For others it may mean no shows.

I know that I can get somewhat obsessive over my hobby and it can take away from other responsibilities such as family, work or just enjoying other aspects of life.

A break from coins???

I took a break from college once... it went something like this; I never went back :facepalm:

I cannot risk the same thing happening here with coins. :cool:

no breaks for me...

I took an extended break from 2004-2010 and quite literally forgot about my Jefferson Nickel set which had been placed in storage after a move. My son found them in a box when I moved in with him and I haven't stopped collecting coins since.

I have learned a couple of things from that experience;

1. I have become much more focused in my collecting habits. Focusing mainly on the classic Jeffersons' instead of the hodge podge I was collecting before.

2. Full step Jefferson nickels have risen astronomically during my hiatus, but such is the nature of the beast. I just wish I would have decided to collect full step nickels exclusively before my break. Ah well, as in most things in life, hindsight is 20/20.

Doug

Several times. The first was after 1971 when prices took a huge leap to 1984. Then again with the heavy promotion just before the price peak of the late 1980s to about 1998. Finally gave up most coin collecting a decade ago; didn't like what I could afford, and couldn’t afford what I liked. I found that researching coinage and its history was much more interesting and involved little direct cash. (Although publishing gets expensive...) Research also allows interaction with a lot more collectors, dealers and experts than collecting coins. (But, it’s not for everyone and can be very difficult to start doing – completely new vocabulary for most. My Grad School and pre-doctoral work gave me a head start.)

Currently on a 4 year break with the coins tucked away in my Safe Deposit Box.

Before that I was not active in the hobby for about 25 years.

I took a break from the time I hit puberty until I was in my early 20's. I sold my collections but still read the periodicals from time to time and still watched the coins in change.

I think it is good to take a few months off here and there to get back to the real world. Then when you realize its the same old garbage, back to coins it is. That way you don't get burned out.

Yes instead of collecting I rebalanced in 2011 and sold instead. Excellent learning experience that made me a better collector.

Best, HT

I originally started collecting over a decade ago. I took some time off once the PM prices rose once the economy tanked. I have recently started to go back into the hobby now.

Everyone needs a break every now and then and it is something that's perfectly normal.

I took I guess what would be a "typical" break in collecting in the early '90s after getting married, having kids, and buying a house. I'd still buy a small addition here and there if finances allowed, but not like I would before those life changing moments. More recently, I've been enjoying the hobby more with my son's growing interest in it. :grin:

"I've been enjoying the hobby more with my son's growing interest in it."

That's a big part of the pleasure of any hobby.

I collected from about 1982 to about 1988 then set everything aside and forgot it. Thankfully they made them clam shell 2 piece coin containers so nothing was ever affected by PVC.

I took about 20 years off to raise a family and focus on other hobby interests. In 2008 I was laid off (fired actually) and decided to dust everything off and try a little E-Bay selling. I was apprehensive about collecting anew because my vision worsened and the costs didn't jive with the ole unemployment issue.

Those things worked themselves out so now I buy and sell regularly and keep the occasional "stunner" for myself.

I did in 1993 with a growing family and three college educations to plan for. I sold a complete set of nice buffs, including EF examples of the 18/17 D and a 37 D three leg. Also sold a almost complete set ofEF/AU grade Mercury Dimes when the coin market was not doing well. Only tough ones I was missing were the 21s with good strikes. I had a EF 16D and an AU 41/42 P in the set. Sad part is the cost to replace just the over date buff now is twice what I got for both sets. Gotta set your priorities. Timing - well just can't time markets as well as expenses. Back in now with a different focus and I only wish I re entered about 2002 as things have gotten much more expensive and I doubt it will change as the baby boomers are selling their GTOs and getting back into a hobby most will for the rest of their life.

I got back into coin collecting when I returned back to the states after some overseas time and rediscovered them in a shipping box. I went pretty fast and furious putting together a 7070 Type Collection (no gold) and then expanded into varieties. I was (am) so in-tuned to my collection that my grades were slipping in college. It's hard to concentrate on classes when my next upgrade is on my mind (need to get back to schoolwork).

I need a break from my collection...but it is so hard to do.

The only break I have taken in over 50 years was when I left my job and went back to school to get an MBA. I had no money for coins, and is even let my subscription to the Grey Sheet lapse. Once I got my degree and a new job I was back into the hobby.

Well......I've taken several small breaks myself. Usually when I have to reevaluate a project I've started when I hit a block with it ( such as my Timeline of Coins Custom Set....there are just some years where I cannot find a coin I like, or I cannot find a story that interests me. I think the best examples of this for me are 1973 and 1974, though I may not have given up on that project completely yet). My biggest break was probably in 2009 when I almost quit collecting altogether because collecting US coins was making me completely miserable. However, spurred on by a wonderful gift from my girlfriend, I returned to the hobby as the Ottoman Empire/World collector that I am today. I was glad for the break I took, and for the gift that helped me find my true direction. It helped me realize what my problems with numismatics were, and that most of them came from me collecting the wrong coins for me. A break can give us time to think and gain perspective

~Tom