• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson Nickel shopping, got some pedigrees, a Key and some FS too!!!

13 posts in this topic

Since I couldn't find any nice toned morgan's in my price range this go around I thought I would add to my Jefferson Nickel Registry....it isn't very impressive, but that's why I keep adding coins to my sets thumbsup2.gif

Keep in mind that I have no patience when it comes to purchasing coins I want so if the price stacks up well against the price guide I will usually buy it even if the market says I could have gotten it a little cheaper by waiting. I hit the BIN on one of these and the rest I won for opening bid which.....may or may not have been a good deal. I lost out on a 1947-P in MS65FS as some one sniped me by a buck at the end foreheadslap.gif

So here is what I picked up and I am high bidder on about 4 other PCGS Nickels:

1943-D PCGS MS66

1943-P MS67 Benson

1944-D PCGS MS66FS Benson

1950-D PCGS MS65FS

Hopefully you Jefferson folks will approve flowerred.gif

Those all look like nice coins KC! The only coin I think you'll do a bit better on in the future is the 43-D. Great Jeffs are always fun to find, steps be damned. laugh.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Damn...that's the one I BIN'd........I need to develop more patience and just bid on coins like that and see how cheap I can get them for makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Well it won't be the lst time I overpay a little, but I underpay for a lot so I still think I make out ahead 893applaud-thumb.gif

What do you thin a fair price for the 1947P MS65FS would have been....It books for $175 in Trends and on PCGS website and I lost it for $52?????

I truly can't speculate over the price of FS nickels right now. The prices realized are all over the map. I just sold a 47 MS65FS for $75. I thought that was cheap. But I think we are in a bit of a slow period for most coinage (certainly for moderns). There have been too many auctions this fall and I think people are waiting for the holiday season to pass and for potential bonuses, etc., before they go coughing up serious money again. Just my own speculation. Anyhow, with respect to the Jefferson nickel market, I think we have a long way to go before we truly understand monetary value within the series.

Hoot

My grandfather just gave me a Whitman album of Jeffersons to give to my son when he's older. Mostly circ with a couple of proofs [including a real nice 1954 that's slightly cameo] and a couple of unc war nickels. Two nice uncs are a 39-P that looks perfect, well struck, but more of a creamy look - and a 40-D to die for... beautiful well struck coin with great luster and some funky good looking toning.

Should be fun for him when he's old enough to appreciate coins.

Jeffs seem to still be a bit of speculation. People have raw sets like TDN mentions. There are sure to be awesome coins in some of these sets. I think KC did very well with his purchases. Even a sophisicated buyer can't get the bottom each time! The '43-D looks great. The '50-D was supposed to be a key coin but since so many folks saved it they made themselves wrong...

I actually won a few more for my set the next day.

I won a 1952-S PCGS MS65 for $9.99 and a 1953-P PCGS MS65 for $14 so not heavy hitters, but decent addition to my set none the less.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

kryptoGreat coins to start out with before you catch the bug for the ultimate nickels! Here's one that took me 10 years to locate. You might want to look away if you don't want to risk catching the bug!

Image Hosting by Vendio

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Get simple, reliable, and affordable image hosting with Vendio today!

Leo

There's not much to dislike about that one......grade??????

Very choice indeed cloud9.gif

krypto

I grade it a MS68! It's the only coin before 1970 in my collection

that I feel deserves that grade! By the time I started to focus on

the 44-D I already knew what I wanted for that date having 10+

years into my collection. I was looking for a MS67 6 step coin

and at the time ANACS had graded only two at that level. The

unusal thing that occured at that time when I started to seriously

search that date, several high grade 44-Ds suddenly came onto

the market. I don't know if they saw me coming or what but I

bought about 3-4 before this coin showed up on Teletrade.

Leo

Let's like you have one of the nicest on the planet...congrats.....

Oh by the way......One more for me!!! This one was real cheap and I didn't realize until after I won it that it's a Benson Pedigree........I know that's not that exciting for most folks but I already have about 6 or 8 bensons including several Nickels so it's a nice bonus since it wasn't listed on the auction.

PCGS-MS65-1948D Jefferson nickel Benson

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif