• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this an attributed Error on this Merc

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I was taking some scans this afternoon in that I am still selling my collection and came across this mercury dime which I will try to post the scans. I had this merc graded about 7 or 8 months ago and just plain added it to my collection without much attention. As I looked at the scan today I noticed that the Obverse is slightly different that the Obverse. It seems that the reverse is about 15 to 20 degrees rotated to the Obverse. Is this a common error for the 1916 Mercury dimes? Has there been any others with this type of error recorded. How and should I resumit it to NGC for this error? Lastly How do I go about doing this? Sorry for all the questions but still learning about errors even after collecting for awhile now. Thanks in advance for any help.

653530-16mercdimemsb.jpg.9db17cfa591dafb1a577c2f05cb9894f.jpg

Striking errors and die varieties are more scarce on Merc dimes than they are on other 20th century series, relatively speaking. The first year 1916 was prone to more stiking irregularities. I have noted several die rotations, missaligned dies, and die breaks, particularly on the 1916 Philadelphia issues and more commonly on the 1929D Merc. This has been an exhaustive study for me for over 20 years of cherrypicking dealer stock.

The 1916 as a 20 degree die rotation would only carry a 20-30% premium over the standard well struck fully alligned specimen. I would only recommend certification on the error/variety tier if the coin is 63 or above, otherwise, get a nice capital or airtight holder for it.

Typically, die rotation errors do not carry a premium unless the rotation is 90 degrees or more. Slight rotations, up to 60 degrees, are quite common in many coins through 1990 and even thereafter.

Hoot

Not long ago, I purchased a Rota-Flip (p.133 Comprehensvie Morgan And Peace Dollar Enclyclopedia - Mallis & Van Allen). The Rota-Flip is intended to be used on "raw" coins.

I bought one of these to check a 1916 Walking Libery Half dollar and a 1904-O Morgan Dollar that had rotated reverses. The 1916 was only rotated 19 degrees (i thought it was 45 degrees) and the 1904-O was only rotated 13 degrees (this coin was documented int the VAM book as having a 28-70 degree rotation). Your coin is comparable to my 1904-O Morgan in the degree of rotation.

The information that came with the Rota-Flip states that die rotations +- 15 degrees are considered within the die setup tolerances at the mint. You may want to check with NGC to see if they follow the +- 15 degree "rule" before resubmitting the coin.

Hi Everyone

Thanks so very much for all of the information you shared on this coin. I knew that with the expertise at this forum I would receive the correct information. Thanks to all and Have a Great Holiday Season.

Papag