• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Comment Box be used?

25 posts in this topic

When NGC gives a + or a * or both to a coin - should they take the time to explain why in the comment box of the final grading form?

I'm not looking for a novel, just a word or two so we know why they felt the coin deserved the designation. Like - Color, Exceptional Surfaces, Hammered etc....

I've been fortunate to receive several coins with these designations but have never had a single word in the comment box.

The comment box was added for a reason but I have not yet seen it used. (shrug)

I think it would be nice to get a one or two sentence explanation when you get the designations and also when you get a "details" decision.

I understand that time is money, so maybe you could check a box on the submission requesting that "if" it's achieved and it costs "x" more. Logistically, I wonder how the TPG's would handle it. I don't know their process.

I think, far more times than not, it is already apparent why a coin received the star designation. And that applies, even though not everyone would agree with the designation.

Regarding the plus grades - what good would it do if there was a comment something to the effect that the coin was superior to the average coin of grade X and almost as good as grade X+1? We already know pretty well, that which NGC would be stating in the comment section, anyway.

I think, far more times than not, it is already apparent why a coin received the star designation. And that applies, even though not everyone would agree with the designation.

Regarding the plus grades - what good would it do if there was a comment something to the effect that the coin was superior to the average coin of grade X and almost as good as grade X+1? We already know pretty well, that which NGC would be stating in the comment section, anyway.

Understand your position. I was thinking of it as a learning tool for the collector. I understand the definitions of "+" and "*", but I was thinking of those times when you don't get it. I think it would be cumbersome for the TPG to handle feedback for this as a set practice too.

So how can a submitter learn how to better identify those coins that might be eligible for this designation? Is it only going to come with time and experience? I don't have an answer to that question. It would be nice to be able to call and discuss it with someone, yet I understand the logistical problem of handling that incoming traffic.

I would like to see some explanation when a "details" decision is issued for a coin. Maybe the paperwork that follows a coin through the process could have a couple check boxes for the grader. For example, if he/she thinks its been cleaned, the grader could check "hairlines" and then check "left field" and then "10 o'clock". Again, I don't know the grading process, so trying to make reasonable suggestions is difficult.

I've worked for manufacturers my entire career. I understand that changing a process is not always as simple as one might think without having intimate knowledge of that process.

It seems that someone at NGC realized the need, or potential need, to further explain things and decided to add the comment box to the final grade form.

I've never seen it used.

It seems that someone at NGC realized the need, or potential need, to further explain things and decided to add the comment box to the final grade form.

I've never seen it used.

It probably is used on occasion, but not in order to explain things such as the star or plus grade coins. If you're curious, you might want to contact customer service.

I have used the comment section on several coins like using a Vam# that is not used By NGC or recognized, ( ie not a top 50 or top 100 vam.) (shrug)

Set Description

Type coins USA

Slot Name

Origin/Country

Item Description

Full Grade

Owner Comments

Pics

View Coin UNITED STATES S$1 1884 CC NGC MS 64 Vam 7A Struck (more...)

I have used the comment section on several coins like using a Vam# that is not used By NGC or recognized, ( ie not a top 50 or top 100 vam.) (shrug)

Set Description

Type coins USA

Slot Name

Origin/Country

Item Description

Full Grade

Owner Comments

Pics

View Coin UNITED STATES S$1 1884 CC NGC MS 64 Vam 7A Struck (more...)

Not that box. I'm referring to the one that NGC fills out when processing our submissions.

There are two columns for comments but I've never seen them used.

It's like someone had good intentions but I'm assuming they're too busy to utilize them.

I've never seen it used.

It probably is used on occasion, but not in order to explain things such as the star or plus grade coins. If you're curious, you might want to contact customer service.

Called customer support. The representative says she has fielded many, many calls on this topic.

In the end she said they're just to busy to tell us why. She agrees that it would be great to have the "what" and the "why" but at this point it's not part of their service.

As far as the comment box goes - I guess we can let our cats use them, they have no other purpose lol

"As far as the comment box goes - I guess we can let our cats use them, they have no other purpose."

I will tell the cat...just as soon as I scrape him off the street out front.

"As far as the comment box goes - I guess we can let our cats use them, they have no other purpose."

I will tell the cat...just as soon as I scrape him off the street out front.

NGC must of found out you were going to let him poo-poo in their empty box (tsk)

I have used the comment section on several coins like using a Vam# that is not used By NGC or recognized, ( ie not a top 50 or top 100 vam.)

I tried that on my last submission to NGC. The 1 cent Flying Eagle had a Snow variety but I was not sure which one. I placed in the comments box "The 1857 Eagle Cent has a variety with a broken wing tip. Please attribute that if you can and just add the charge to my submission".

Nada! I guess they don't have a Snow book either. (shrug)

I have used the comment section on several coins like using a Vam# that is not used By NGC or recognized, ( ie not a top 50 or top 100 vam.)

I tried that on my last submission to NGC. The 1 cent Flying Eagle had a Snow variety but I was not sure which one. I placed in the comments box "The 1857 Eagle Cent has a variety with a broken wing tip. Please attribute that if you can and just add the charge to my submission".

Nada! I guess they don't have a Snow book either. (shrug)

Yeah, I think they are processing so many orders that the notes in that box get overlooked sometimes.

This thread was about the box that's on the form that becomes viewable once NGC enters our submissions. You know the one that lets you see the grades assigned after the coins have been finalized and shipped back us. There are two comment boxes per line item that are always left blank.

I think we've found a good use for them now. Rogers cat may not be able to participate at this point ;)

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood.

No, they are not always blank. I have one submission recently that had the first comment blocks utilized. "Altered Color" and "Improperly Cleaned".

I guess they had nothing to say after that. They could have at least put a small icon of a jar of vaseline in the other blank boxes! :insane:

Ooops! I was mistaken ... They did provide two comments for each one.

grades_joke.jpg

Oh. Sorry I misunderstood.

No, they are not always blank. I have one submission recently that had the first comment blocks utilized. "Altered Color" and "Improperly Cleaned".

I guess they had nothing to say after that. They could have at least put a small icon of a jar of vaseline in the other blank boxes! :insane:

Ooops! I was mistaken ... They did provide two comments for each one.

grades_joke.jpg

lol too funny!

I see the vaseline, are those cleaning products in the second box?

This is actually what they Should do. Tell you what the grade is and why it received it. Straight grades don't need anything more. PL, Cameo and Ultra Cameo and things like FBL and 5FS give all the needed info. The stuff that doesn't receive a straight grade- tell us why. One or two words is usually all it would take.

To me the biggest one that is constantly questioned is the star.

I submitted a request to NGC let's see where it goes. The thing that might get them to do it is mo money! I'd give them an extra buck or two for their FULL opinion.

Ahhh....misunderstood. (I'll tell the flat cat...)

The few submission I've made usually have comments such as "You've got to be kidding!" or "Not a chance" ..maybe my coins need advance review.... ;)

More comments --> more time --> more cost --> higher submission fees.

Be careful what you ask for...

More comments --> more time --> most cost --> higher submission fees.

Leave it up to the submitter to choose or decline the service, like they do with Details Grading.

Except, if you opt in, the fee would increase by X amount for the coins with the "why" to go with the "what".

How much more could it be? It appears that they're already doing this, for free, with some Details Graded coins.

More comments --> more time --> most cost --> higher submission fees.

Leave it up to the submitter to choose or decline the service, like they do with Details Grading.

Except, if you opt in, the fee would increase by X amount for the coins with the "why" to go with the "what".

How much more could it be? It appears that they're already doing this, for free, with some Details Graded coins.

Indicate in the comment box what the vote total was. 2 of 3, 3 of 3.

This would indicate how strongly the graders felt about the grade/designation.

Ahhh....misunderstood. (I'll tell the flat cat...)

The few submission I've made usually have comments such as "You've got to be kidding!" or "Not a chance" ..maybe my coins need advance review.... ;)

:roflmao: Or "don't expect a miracle" and "Nice try." :taptaptap:

I guess you folks missed the email from NGC the other day saying that they are increasing the fees on certain submission tiers by a dollar.

It is already happening.

I stand corrected. rrantique had already made a post about it.

Some cleaning product called KY Jelly. (shrug)

I guess you folks missed the email from NGC the other day saying that they are increasing the fees on certain submission tiers by a dollar.

It is already happening.

I stand corrected. rrantique had already made a post about it.

Some cleaning product called KY Jelly. (shrug)

Sounds like someone feels they got screwed on a submission. lol