• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there certain coin series that you won't entertain in certain plastic?

31 posts in this topic

Gold, silver and copper/bronze in useless plastic....not good for entertaining or much else.

It's good for resale and getting your price back, possibly, upon resale.

Presumably, if the person collecting doesn't like plastic then they would have bought the coin raw so they probably would have paid a lot less to begin with.

Buying coins in plastic and then cracking out (like James does) is far more difficult to defend in terms of "getting your price back". It all depends on how much weight one puts on the value of the collection vs. how they want to enjoy it. I can see both sides of this....

As to which series are better in which plastic: Well when I was collecting Indian gold ($5) I always felt that most NGC AU pieces were ugly...I don't know why...most just seem lack luster and essentially XF material. The better coins for whatever reason resided in PCGS holders. I imagine that probably had a lot to do with crack outs over the years but who knows.

Most strike designations are usually better with NGC though...especially more modern issues.

jom