• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I like Numismatics posted by #

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Some are made of metals and some made of paper

Now that I covered the coin aspect of numismatics for the coin side of the personal journals I'd like mention the currency for those of us or should I say most of us ignore. They're really interesting at not nearly as expensive as I thought. You can get some on eBay for just a little more than the modern note inside. I don't understand how or why some people spend so much for grading these everyday notes but they are fun and you can always cut them out and spend them. I just started with sheets because they seem cheaper than going for top pops. Here is a pic of my start.

David

15407.PNG

See more journals by #

Hey David,

Nice Ebay snag!! You're right that currency is somewhat neglected by many in our hobby, and I for one find the redesigned US notes very appealing, particularly the new $100. It reminds me of a couple of Turkish notes that I have in my collection. As for myself, I've been giving some thought to expanding into Ottoman currency as well as coins, but I never seem to find any at my local shop and I want to get one that way so I can get to know it's characteristics before venturing into online and mail purchases. There are tons of contemporary counterfeits out there of Ottoman banknotes because the Ottoman Lira that was born after the Ottoman monetary reforms of 1844 was one of the most valuable currency units in the world ( the exchange rate was 5 US dollars to 1 Ottoman Lira). So it's a scary game for that reason, but someday I'll make the jump. Congrats on your new additions!!!

~Tom

Very nice bank note collection. please correct me if I'm wrong, but do paper money graded go up to 100 for a perfect note? Just trying to educate myself on bank note grades. another question do you buy sheets from the mint or dealer or do you get your bills from the bank? Thank you for your response,

Happy Collecting and may God Bless....Mike