• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Clifton, NJ

4 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly Clifton coin show today. This show usually has about 25-30 tables and generally features less-expensive raw and slabbed coins. Bourse traffic was pretty good today, although a couple of the tables were empty (which is unusual, as this show has been getting busier over the past year or two).

I saw the usual wholesalers walking the floor with their briefcases and a pretty good volume of business - the room had a lot of "buzz."

I usually go to this show to fill in some holes in my circulated Walker and Mercury album, as well as to pick up some "fun" stuff. I was looking for a nice XF 1946-D Walker - when I mentioned my search to one dealer, he said that "everyone" was looking for them - he had two people ask him for them yesterday, he said. As usual, nice VF or better mint-marked Mercuries and Walkers from the 'teens and 20s were almost impossible to find.

I did, however, pick up a really sweet raw VF++ 1826 Bust Half; at a nice price, I might add.

I also spent some time at the check and foreign currency dealer and bought some fun checks for a few dollars, including a nice cancelled check (dated 3/21/1893) from the Seventh National Bank of New York. Who knew there ever was a Seventh National Bank of New York? (It turns out that it merged with a bank that merged with a bank that was acquired by Irving Trust - which, of course, was acquired by the Bank of New York in the late 1980s.)

I also got a blank check (but printed with the date "187_") from Drexel, Morgan & Co.! (It's one of the earliest names of JP Morgan, which was acquired by Chase a few years ago.) How cool is that?! grin.gif

(By the way, if you're interested, the web site of the NY Superintendent of Banks has a page that lists the corporate history of almost all NY banks, so you can see who bought whom and when.)

Today was the beginning of a two-week, five show coin orgy - Clifton today, White Plains on Friday, Clifton Club show next Sunday, Baltimore the following Friday and Parsippany on Sunday, December 5th. YEAH BABY!