• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In honor of Wihlborg, jom, and other toned nickel nuts...

14 posts in this topic

While I realize that Wihlborg and jom are both aficionados of buffalo nickels, they both love natural color and also have some of the most beautiful nickels out there, even if John's are NT and jom's are spraypainted. Bruceswar may also like this coin, even though his buffalo nickels are all "cooked for color." So, I thought they might like this beauty...

Now, for the Jefferson collectors around these parts, like Leo, David, TomB and others, I suspect that this coin's strike is disturbing. I call it "NS" for Naturally Struck. The strike is quite weak, especially for an early 1940's issue, even San Francisco. The obverse isn't horrible, but the reverse has a slide leading from the door of Monticello to the field below (rather than steps). It's my personal belief that Jefferson used a slide frequently in that location, and that Jeff's ghost fiddled with the dies and presses on a regular basis to show this feature of Monticello in all of its glory. The nickel is actually "NS-squared," the second "NS" is for No Steps.

Despite the weak strike, the coin is immaculate and wonderfully colored. Luster (as with many weakly struck nickels) is superb. Quite fetching and rare in terms of quality (yet not numerical grade).

I'm glad that neither jom nor Wihlborg collect Jefferson nickels, as I'm quite sure they would have beaten me to this one! wink.gif

647295-1940-SJeff5cMS66starNGC04-844.JPG

Hoot

647295-1940-SJeff5cMS66starNGC04-844.JPG.1a45c9f408caaff84c906145434f69ee.JPG

That coins sucks. Send it to me and I'll fix the strike problem. devil.gif

It's funny and VERY typical of the way I look at coins. I see the picture and immediately think it's a GREAT coin but only AFTER I read your prose do I notice the strike is weak. That's just me however....I just don't put too much emphisis on strike. Be it good or bad but I'd MUCH rather have a nicely toned coin....it's not even close.

I do have my limits however...in that auction last summer where I got all those toned Buffs the 18-D in that sale was just enough weakly struck it turned me off from bidding. I realize the other coins weren't very well struck either but the 18-D was especially bad... frown.gif Nice tone though...

EDIT: On that Jeff of yours...is that Dansco toning? It's more of a rainbow than usual BUT it does have that blueish cast you see with nickel coins in Dansco holders.

jom

Whoa! Hoot that nickel has superb color! cloud9.gif I started reading your post and could see most of the coin’s obverse, so when you noted that some may find the strike disturbing I thought to myself ‘Hoot must have inhaled too much prairie dust again, because I don’t think the strike looks that bad’ screwy.gif But then I scrolled down a little and saw the reverse. foreheadslap.gif Oh boy! That reverse strike is more than disturbing, it’s down right scary! 893whatthe.gif

Never the less I think it is a wonderful coin, one that I would be proud to own and a perfect example of why collectors should not narrowly base a coin’s desirability on any one attribute, because if they do they will surely miss out on many beautiful coins.

John

Yes this is a case where color wins out for me. I know a lot of collectors are hung up on strike and their is no reason they shouldn't be, but with that color......I would overlook it in a heartbeat cloud9.gif

Hoot,

I don't know why it is, but I've seen quite a few toned Jeffs like this one that I've dubbed "Horseshoe Toning". It's more of a what isn't toned name then for the toning itself.

Can't say I'm very fond of the strike but I am liking the super clean fields and devices! The tone just adds to it. Very nice for a slider! thumbsup2.gif

As a nod to Hollywood's recent tack of having multiple endings, here's my posts:

"Nice coin, Hoot. Who woulda thunk it that I can enjoy looking at a Jefferson nickel so much?!?"

"Why are we wasting resources on such a loser coinage? It's a friggin' Jefferson nickel, ferchrissakes!!! Are we gonna talk about the PMM next?"

"NBB, anyone?"

smile.gif

EVP

"Why are we wasting resources on such a loser coinage? It's a friggin' Jefferson nickel, ferchrissakes!!! Are we gonna talk about the PMM next?"

"NBB, anyone?"

smile.gif

EVP

NBB yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

One might think this coin is a slider due to the weakness of the devices, but truly, it's a bonafide gem coin. Flawless in terms of preservation, as struck, and not a single break in the lustre. In fact, this is one of those "dripping lustre" coins that we hear of from time to time. laugh.gif It's an oddball for certain, but I simply love it! angel.gif

Hoot

Edited to say: WAIT!!! I get it David! SLIDER! Slide from the porch of Monticello to the field below! laugh.gifyeahok.gif

Hoot,

I don't know why it is, but I've seen quite a few toned Jeffs like this one that I've dubbed "Horseshoe Toning". It's more of a what isn't toned name then for the toning itself.

Can't say I'm very fond of the strike but I am liking the super clean fields and devices! The tone just adds to it. Very nice for a slider! thumbsup2.gif

Yes, I would have to agree with David! That's one fine colorful horseshoe nickel! smile.gif

Leo

Nice coin, Hoot! smile.gif

If you ever make it out to Monticello you can tour the property. One of the attractions is the ice cellar that is located within the side of the mountain. This was used throughout the summer for chilling food and drink, but, it was also used for keeping the slide iced! 893whatthe.gif Yep, TJ was known to take a header down those steps when they were iced up, and Sally Hemmings certainly enjoyed that! 893whatthe.gif It's too bad most folks don't know their history well...

Here's one from my toned Jefferson registry set across the street --

I love toned jeffs and they are starting to take off price wise --

Beautiful coin Hoot!!!! Thanks for sharing -- wanna sell???

46DPCGSMS66.jpg

Thanks

Michael

That's a superb 46-D Michael! For some reason, 1946-D nickels seem to tone in excellent ways. Yours is a classic! thumbsup2.gif

Oh! I think I want to hang on to that 40-S! wink.gif

Hoot

all superl yay.gifative toned jeffs

they are coming into their own pricewise/demandwise the last year or so with the really neatly toned ones from pre 1964 really taking off

michael

I love toned jeffs and they are starting to take off price wise --

I'd say!

Beautiful coin Hoot!!!! Thanks for sharing -- wanna sell???

Thanks

Michael

Fratt

Off the record laugh.gif, what would you pay for Hoot's nickel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fot that matter, what did you pay for yours?

By the way, very nice 46-D! The strike and condition look great!

I'd grade it a MS65! The steps look presentable too! headbang.gif

Leo